v. beta 2.0
*Disclaimer* This is a beta build of this ROM. It is mostly stable, but hasn't been thoroughly tested by anyone but myself. I decided to release it publicly due to the lack of current ROMs for users to flash. I expect general feedback based up what is currently in the ROM and what I can do to improve it. For legal reasons, flashing this ROM is based on your own decision, if it causes any mishap with your phone, feel free to message me and I will work with you to fix it, but I am in no way responsible for anything you do.
Not a whole lot of time to type this up -- I plan on editing when I have more time and as the build progresses.
This ROM is mostly debloated. Some bloat is left for general function of the phone. I tried to leave any bloat application that applies function to the phone that is otherwise inaccessible. This makes it an awesome base ROM for anyone who wishes to develop.
There are also many edits to system files such as the build.prop, apks, framework, etc. These edits are mostly performance based enhancements, but there are some visual changes as well. I plan on continuing the theme on this ROM based on user input. I may also consider converting back to stock theme and allowing flashable themes for those who wish to have more options. Themes that have been previously created for the Droid X2 (so far, I believe there are a total of three posted at XDA) should be flashable over top of this ROM, but I am making no guarantees. Also added is a sleep mode (accessed by holding power) which lowers power consumption, and turns off wireless signal -- The device is able to be accessed again by holding power. In general, it allows for maximum battery conservation compared to turning off the device.
- Bloat removed
- System edits
- Framework edits
- Much more...
In future updates, I plan on doing what you, the consumer, wants to happen. Firstly, I plan on cooking SuperCharger into the ROM. And hopefully, in the near future, I can figure out how to overclock this beast.
As for performance, this ROM runs great. I average around 3000 in Quadrant and in AnTuTu Benchmark, I average around 4750.
This ROM is optimized for performance, but doesn't lack on functionality. I hope you all can find great use of it and enjoy the work I have done.
- Gain SuperUser access by rooting your device via Gingerbreak.apk
- Install recovery
- Move ROM (.zip) to external SD card
- Boot into Recovery using the APK
- [optional] Clear Data/ Factory Reset
- [optional] Clear Cache
- Choose Install .zip from SD
- Choose SD card
- Navigate to the ROM (.zip)
- Confirm install
- Reboot once installation is complete
- When rom boots, be sure to firstly make your default keyboard something other than "Moto input method" (explained later)
I plan on adding more detailed instructions at a later date...
- User must change keyboard away from "Moto input method." This keyboard was removed from the build, but hasn't had all traces cleared yet. It will not appear due to most of the structure and APK being removed.
- Charging battery animation is default
- Browser search function is faulty. To fix, please install Google Search from the Android Market.
- Calendar sync seems to be an issue due to the removal of the Calendar Sync apk by accident in this build. It will be returning. If you wish to restore calendar sync before the update, the two files you will need are: BlurCalendarProvider.apk AND BlurCalendarProvider.odex
- Some users are reporting the contacts menu repeatedly opening on random. I do not know the exact cause of this, but it is rare. In the case that it does happen, try wiping data and cache and re-flashing the ROM.
Please let me know of any additional issues you run into!!!
Otherwise, enjoy your DROID X2!
For those wanting some /system/app/ items back,
Download Stock Applications
This is NOT flashable... yet.
This is a simple .zip that contains all the /system/app/ items in case you wish you restore them. To restore an system, simply unzip the file, move the desired file to your phone/SD. Make sure R/W is enabled, and move the desired files to /system/app/
Hope this helps some in a temporary fix to your problems.
Lastly, I develop for fun, but if you feel it necessary, donate to the cause.
Actually, we could make this into a fun drinking game. My 21st birthday is August 1st. I plan on getting $**t housed all day and all that weekend. If you donate, before August 6th, your donation funds will go strictly towards alcohol. If you donate, feel free to message me with what you wish for me to purchase with that given cash (note: if you want something specific, please donate that specific amount, otherwise, it'll probably go towards some PBR). I'll try to take pictures of the drinks before and after (depending on how wasted I am) and I'll message those who donated, or anyone who requests, with what kind of damage was done. Haha, I have some experience under my belt, so, don't take it easy. This should be fun.
Happy Android-ing to everyone!
May the Droid X2 prosper!
This post is not subject to perfect grammar; no one really cares. Enjoy the ROM!