DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Droid X Camera App not storing full coord's

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Thumbs down Droid X Camera App not storing full coord's

Not sure best forum location for this one - probably not a "bug" per se, just a bad programming decision.

Looking at EXIF data from two sources - 1)old HTC G1 phone running Cyanogen and 2)new Motorola Droid X running OTA 2.2 stock

G1: GPS Latitude = 40 19 35.41
    X: GPS Latitude = 40 19 35

Perhaps the decimal places didn't seem important to retain, but dropping them results in all my geotagged photos dropping into a 24 meter by 30 meter grid.

Put another way, the shiny new top-of-the-line X is taking raw data accurate up to 7-10' (if ideal conditions) and adding up to 90' of rounding error to it. The old G1's simply attach all the available information to the photos.

Does anyone know of any replacement camera app that tags the full coordinates? (I did try the "Camera Pro" app that advertises location storage, but it also only stores to the nearest lat/long second).

3. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    TBOLT / Charge
    Premium Member
    I have asked that your thread be moved to the X section so that you can get some assistance with your issue.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Droid X Camera GPS problem resolution

Thought I'd update my own post in case anyone searches for it when others eventually start finding this out too.

Summary: it is most definitely a problem with Motorola's Camera App, which is a Blur app that replaces the Android camera app found on other phones.

I am using a mix of two solutions.

#1, the easy way: Purchase "Vignette." While most of the camera apps in the Market (CameraPro, Camera360, etc.) seem to use the Blur camera under the hood, the Vignette App actually stores the full GPS coordinates from the sensor in the image. Also, it has a handy little display on the screen showing the approx. accuracy of the GPS fix - this is very nice for knowing if the GPS chip has full lock yet or is still waking up.

#2, the harder way: Root the phone and switch to a Blur-less ROM. I'm currently running rubiX Focused 1.0, and it is very nice. I can confirm the camera app is completely different than the Blurred one.

Since I already purchased Vignette, I'm going back and forth on use. The GPS display is a nice touch, but the AOSP camera in rubiX is a little less laggy.

So there you go - it's not an Android gaffe, it's something Motorola managed to hose. I won't hold my breath for a fix, since there are many more high profile bugs in their Froyo rollout for them to deal with first.

Links