DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to conserve battery life on Droid X?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    s3

How to conserve battery life on Droid X?

Along with the Motorola Droid it seems the Droid X's battery is draining like crazy. I set up ATK on my Motorola Droid and it didn't seem to make that much of a difference. I noticed that when I installed it on my Droid X and pulled it up there are dozens of apps running that probably are doing the draining. In the settings menu I also pulled up the tab that shows what applications are running. It looks like a lot more of applications that need to be running than the Motorola Droid. I guess they all don't need to be running, but that's why I am posting this thread...I'm not as advanced as most of you out there. So I guess my question is, what should I leave running and not leave running or what else can I do to conserve battery life? In 4 hours of leaving the phone sit there and occasionally txt'ing a few here and there the battery went from 100% to 30%.

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Allen

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    barski_x
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    wow, thats a major problem.

Here are some things you can do with out going to overboard:

• Go to Settings>Batter Manager>Battery Profile>Smart Mode
    • Go to Settings>Batter Manager>Battery Profile Options

-Set your Off-Peak hours and Data Timeout.
    • Turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS when NOT in use.
    • Go into Advanced Task Killer and select what applications you want it to kill.
    • Finally and probably most important run it completely dead and set it on the charger over night.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    TBolt w/Das BAMF Forever Cubed
    Quote Originally Posted by barski View Post

• Go into Advanced Task Killer and select what applications you want it to kill.
    • Finally and probably most important run it completely dead and set it on the charger over night.
    Two things that I have done in direct conflict with what you suggest would be:

-Battery Profile = Power Saver

-UNINSTALL the app/task killing app. (It actually chews more battery up running the app and will make your Droid run very buggy.)

Also, I didn't set any off-peak setting and have many widgets on and have seen quite an improvement in battery life.

You may want to also check to make sure that your email is set to PUSH instead of Polling. That can often kill the battery.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    barski_x
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldOfJohnboy View Post

Two things that I have done in direct conflict with what you suggest would be:

-Battery Profile = Power Saver

-UNINSTALL the app/task killing app. (It actually chews more battery up running the app and will make your Droid run very buggy.)

Also, I didn't set any off-peak setting and have many widgets on and have seen quite an improvement in battery life.

You may want to also check to make sure that your email is set to PUSH instead of Polling. That can often kill the battery.
    I got mine on Smart Mode and its seems fine, but if they were there they would see all 3 options and change it to what he wants. the option to set off-peak times isnt available if you were to choose power saver mode. so in smart mode i would advise that you set the off-peak settings up. Mines 11pm-5am.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    This just isn't true anymore with modern batteries. You don't need to do this.

The SINGLE most important thing is to set the screen brightness to Auto. My screen uses 86% of the battery as I have it set to 100% brightness (it just looks so pretty!).
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    [QUOTE=barski;652802
    I got mine on Smart Mode and its seems fine, but if they were there they would see all 3 options and change it to what he wants. the option to set off-peak times isnt available if you were to choose power saver mode. so in smart mode i would advise that you set the off-peak settings up. Mines 11pm-5am.[/QUOTE]

I can't setup off-peak hours... I work in IT as a network engineer and if I miss an email, etc. then my boss would kick my behind! Besides, during off-peak, don't you have it charging most of the time?

Smart Mode vs. Power Saver is small potatoes compared to the App Killer point, however. The day after I unistalled my App Killer, my battery acted like a brand new extended battery!
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid2
    How about put the phone down?

Thats the best way to conserve battery life

And yeah dont run the phone dead, i dunno how the DX reacts but when my phone gets below 10% she doesnt act right and then when its time to recharge her if its not a moto cord pluged into the wall the phone bootloops
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnadie4thegov View Post
    How about put the phone down?

Thats the best way to conserve battery life

And yeah dont run the phone dead, i dunno how the DX reacts but when my phone gets below 10% she doesnt act right and then when its time to recharge her if its not a moto cord pluged into the wall the phone bootloops
    The first few days I had it, it was plugged in whenever I had the option to... I knew that I would be "playing" and downloading a ton.

I have two batteries for my DX and drained both until the phone shutdown itself. I then charged them to 100% and haven't looked back. You can tell me that I don't need to do it with the new batteries, but in my case, I noticed it did seem to last longer after I did so... just sayin'
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by heycow View Post
    This just isn't true anymore with modern batteries. You don't need to do this.

The SINGLE most important thing is to set the screen brightness to Auto. My screen uses 86% of the battery as I have it set to 100% brightness (it just looks so pretty!).
    The point of this isn't to condition the battery, it is to train the battery meter so that you get accurate readings.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    All I can do is speak from my own experience. I can't say that anyone else is right or wrong from their own experiences.

ATK saved my battery on my new DX. Plain and simple. It was running all sorts of applications that it didn't need to be like Amazon MP3, Maps, Music and several others. I had ATK on my Moto Droid, but didn't want to install it on the DX until I saw how it was running. Plain and simple - all the running apps were draining the crap out of the battery.

I installed ATK onto my DX and have had zero issues. It's preserved a better battery life for me and I have zero issues running the task killer. I select which apps I want it to ignore, and when I close it it kills what I want it to. Even checking just now, Music is running along with Amazon MP3. Why? I dunno. I haven't used either of them since getting the phone on launch day.

I also work in IT as a network Administrator, and even your operating system comes with a Task Manager that allows you to kill the applications you want. My feeling is that with your smart phone, you should have the same thing.

It's a free app. In the end, if you try it and it doesn't work for you - then you've lost nothing. But if it does work for you, then you're better for it.

Just my 2 cents, nothing more.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links