DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38

Thread: How to conserve battery life on Droid X?

  1. Senior Droid
    nacho220's Avatar
    Member #
    91424
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    128
    Phone
    s3
    #1

    How to conserve battery life on Droid X?

    Along with the Motorola Droid it seems the Droid X's battery is draining like crazy. I set up ATK on my Motorola Droid and it didn't seem to make that much of a difference. I noticed that when I installed it on my Droid X and pulled it up there are dozens of apps running that probably are doing the draining. In the settings menu I also pulled up the tab that shows what applications are running. It looks like a lot more of applications that need to be running than the Motorola Droid. I guess they all don't need to be running, but that's why I am posting this thread...I'm not as advanced as most of you out there. So I guess my question is, what should I leave running and not leave running or what else can I do to conserve battery life? In 4 hours of leaving the phone sit there and occasionally txt'ing a few here and there the battery went from 100% to 30%.

    Thanks for any help in advance.
    Allen
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Master Droid
    barski's Avatar
    Member #
    83084
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    611
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    barski_x
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #2
    wow, thats a major problem.

    Here are some things you can do with out going to overboard:

    • Go to Settings>Batter Manager>Battery Profile>Smart Mode
    • Go to Settings>Batter Manager>Battery Profile Options

    -Set your Off-Peak hours and Data Timeout.
    • Turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS when NOT in use.
    • Go into Advanced Task Killer and select what applications you want it to kill.
    • Finally and probably most important run it completely dead and set it on the charger over night.
  4. Master Droid
    WorldOfJohnboy's Avatar
    Member #
    87336
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    812
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    TBolt w/Das BAMF Forever Cubed
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by barski View Post
    wow, thats a major problem.

    Here are some things you can do with out going to overboard:

    • Go to Settings>Batter Manager>Battery Profile>Smart Mode
    • Go to Settings>Batter Manager>Battery Profile Options

    -Set your Off-Peak hours and Data Timeout.
    • Turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS when NOT in use.
    • Go into Advanced Task Killer and select what applications you want it to kill.
    • Finally and probably most important run it completely dead and set it on the charger over night.
    Two things that I have done in direct conflict with what you suggest would be:

    -Battery Profile = Power Saver

    -UNINSTALL the app/task killing app. (It actually chews more battery up running the app and will make your Droid run very buggy.)

    Also, I didn't set any off-peak setting and have many widgets on and have seen quite an improvement in battery life.

    You may want to also check to make sure that your email is set to PUSH instead of Polling. That can often kill the battery.
  5. Master Droid
    barski's Avatar
    Member #
    83084
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    611
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    barski_x
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldOfJohnboy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barski View Post
    wow, thats a major problem.

    Here are some things you can do with out going to overboard:

    • Go to Settings>Batter Manager>Battery Profile>Smart Mode
    • Go to Settings>Batter Manager>Battery Profile Options

    -Set your Off-Peak hours and Data Timeout.
    • Turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS when NOT in use.
    • Go into Advanced Task Killer and select what applications you want it to kill.
    • Finally and probably most important run it completely dead and set it on the charger over night.
    Two things that I have done in direct conflict with what you suggest would be:

    -Battery Profile = Power Saver

    -UNINSTALL the app/task killing app. (It actually chews more battery up running the app and will make your Droid run very buggy.)

    Also, I didn't set any off-peak setting and have many widgets on and have seen quite an improvement in battery life.

    You may want to also check to make sure that your email is set to PUSH instead of Polling. That can often kill the battery.
    I got mine on Smart Mode and its seems fine, but if they were there they would see all 3 options and change it to what he wants. the option to set off-peak times isnt available if you were to choose power saver mode. so in smart mode i would advise that you set the off-peak settings up. Mines 11pm-5am.
  6. Senior Droid
    heycow's Avatar
    Member #
    88334
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    114
    Phone
    Droid X
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by barski View Post
    • Finally and probably most important run it completely dead and set it on the charger over night.
    This just isn't true anymore with modern batteries. You don't need to do this.

    The SINGLE most important thing is to set the screen brightness to Auto. My screen uses 86% of the battery as I have it set to 100% brightness (it just looks so pretty!).
  7. Master Droid
    WorldOfJohnboy's Avatar
    Member #
    87336
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    812
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    TBolt w/Das BAMF Forever Cubed
    #6
    [QUOTE=barski;652802
    I got mine on Smart Mode and its seems fine, but if they were there they would see all 3 options and change it to what he wants. the option to set off-peak times isnt available if you were to choose power saver mode. so in smart mode i would advise that you set the off-peak settings up. Mines 11pm-5am.[/QUOTE]

    I can't setup off-peak hours... I work in IT as a network engineer and if I miss an email, etc. then my boss would kick my behind! Besides, during off-peak, don't you have it charging most of the time?

    Smart Mode vs. Power Saver is small potatoes compared to the App Killer point, however. The day after I unistalled my App Killer, my battery acted like a brand new extended battery!
  8. Master Droid
    gonnadie4thegov's Avatar
    Member #
    43244
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    453
    Phone
    Moto Droid2
    #7
    How about put the phone down?

    Thats the best way to conserve battery life

    And yeah dont run the phone dead, i dunno how the DX reacts but when my phone gets below 10% she doesnt act right and then when its time to recharge her if its not a moto cord pluged into the wall the phone bootloops
  9. Master Droid
    WorldOfJohnboy's Avatar
    Member #
    87336
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    812
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    TBolt w/Das BAMF Forever Cubed
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnadie4thegov View Post
    How about put the phone down?

    Thats the best way to conserve battery life

    And yeah dont run the phone dead, i dunno how the DX reacts but when my phone gets below 10% she doesnt act right and then when its time to recharge her if its not a moto cord pluged into the wall the phone bootloops
    The first few days I had it, it was plugged in whenever I had the option to... I knew that I would be "playing" and downloading a ton.

    I have two batteries for my DX and drained both until the phone shutdown itself. I then charged them to 100% and haven't looked back. You can tell me that I don't need to do it with the new batteries, but in my case, I noticed it did seem to last longer after I did so... just sayin'
  10. Droid
    tmoney2007's Avatar
    Member #
    46501
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    66
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by heycow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by barski View Post
    • Finally and probably most important run it completely dead and set it on the charger over night.
    This just isn't true anymore with modern batteries. You don't need to do this.

    The SINGLE most important thing is to set the screen brightness to Auto. My screen uses 86% of the battery as I have it set to 100% brightness (it just looks so pretty!).
    The point of this isn't to condition the battery, it is to train the battery meter so that you get accurate readings.
  11. Droid
    Grifter's Avatar
    Member #
    54192
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    59
    Phone
    Droid X
    #10
    All I can do is speak from my own experience. I can't say that anyone else is right or wrong from their own experiences.

    ATK saved my battery on my new DX. Plain and simple. It was running all sorts of applications that it didn't need to be like Amazon MP3, Maps, Music and several others. I had ATK on my Moto Droid, but didn't want to install it on the DX until I saw how it was running. Plain and simple - all the running apps were draining the crap out of the battery.

    I installed ATK onto my DX and have had zero issues. It's preserved a better battery life for me and I have zero issues running the task killer. I select which apps I want it to ignore, and when I close it it kills what I want it to. Even checking just now, Music is running along with Amazon MP3. Why? I dunno. I haven't used either of them since getting the phone on launch day.

    I also work in IT as a network Administrator, and even your operating system comes with a Task Manager that allows you to kill the applications you want. My feeling is that with your smart phone, you should have the same thing.

    It's a free app. In the end, if you try it and it doesn't work for you - then you've lost nothing. But if it does work for you, then you're better for it.

    Just my 2 cents, nothing more.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Battery Life & my 2 Droid X's
    By stryguy in forum Droid X General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 08:50 PM
  2. Droid X Battery Life
    By Jira in forum Droid X General Discussions
    Replies: 130
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 07:56 AM
  3. Best way to use Google Navigation and conserve battery?
    By 2sls in forum Droid X General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
  4. Auto Schedule Conserve Battery, Alarm Clock Mode?
    By PixelPlex in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 09:49 AM
  5. Droid Battery Life
    By danDroid in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 03:11 PM

Search tags for this page

best battery settings droid x
,
conserve battery on droid
,
conserving battery life on droid x
,

droid x battery settings

,

droid x battery smart mode

,
how to conserve battery life on droid x
,
how to conserve battery on droid 4
,

how to conserve battery on droid x

,
how to conserve battery on droid x2
,
how to conserve droid x battery life
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+