DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Screen Flicker Issue

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Screen Flicker Issue

Hey guys, posted my issue in the general Droid X problem sticky, but wanted to post it here too and see if anyone else has experienced what I did.

Activated the X today, and played with it for about 20 mins when I started to notice some flickering on the bottom half of the screen. It would usually flicker when I was pressing the home button from another program i.e. maps, browser. Then, a couple of mins after that, I was just surfing the home screens, and the bottom half began to flicker constantly. The top half was completely stable, but the bottom half was flickering non stop. It would flicker on the lock screen, any program i opened, broswers, maps etc. So, turned the screen on and off, still there, rebooted phone, still there. Figured I would try a factory reset.

Did a factory reset, and while it was showing the android icon during reboot, was still flickering, then once the moto icon came on, just had a dotted line through the moto icon. Once the phone booted into the home screen, no flicker, no lines. Tried to reproduce the issue, and so far cannot find the issue again. While browsing, the dotted line did show up again, but I turned the screen on and off, and it went away. Been actively trying to reproduce the issue, but I just cannot. Figure ill give it another day to see if it starts up again.

Anyone else have this issue or something similar to it? I am thinking to take it to the store to exchange it, but I dunno if they will just take it back on my word (which is why I am trying to reproduce it but to no avail). Any advice?

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

EDIT (7/20/10): Looks like Moto/VZW have confirmed the issue (via engadget), and I have already placed an order to get a replacement device:

"Verizon Wireless and Motorola are aware of a very small number of DROID X units that have experienced a flickering or banding display. Motorola has resolved the issue and is continuing to ship the phones. Any consumer who experiences a flickering or banding display should contact a Motorola customer support center or Verizon Wireless."

Last edited by the5rivers; 07-20-2010 at 07:42 PM.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Had something very similar happen to me. Vertical banding and flickering. Did all the standard troubleshooting stuff, turning off the phone, battery pulls, etc without success.

Did a factory reset earlier today and haven't had any more issues. If it happens again I'll swap it for a new one, but I'm ~8 hours without any issues with heavy usage.
    Last edited by Takenumbrage; 07-18-2010 at 08:38 PM.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Takenumbrage View Post
    Had something very similar happen to me. Vertical banding and flickering. Did all the standard troubleshooting stuff, turning off the phone, battery pulls, etc.

Did a factory earlier today and haven't had any more issues. If it happens again I'll swap it for a new one, but I'm ~8 hours without any issues with heavy usage.

Yup same, I had the banding as well, and turned the phone off, but didnt do a battery pull, etc. Just did the reset.

Well I will give it another day and see if it happens again. So far after the factory reset, I havent been able to reproduce anything except for the dotted line that came but went away after I turned my screen on/off.

Thanks for the input, gives me some hope that maybe all it needed was a reset.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    How's this for timing. Just started getting flickering again. Guess I need to call Verizon in the morning.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Takenumbrage View Post
    How's this for timing. Just started getting flickering again. Guess I need to call Verizon in the morning.
    Haha wow are you serious? Yeah, the more I think about it, I am going to go to the store and just ask for an exchange. No point in having to deal with it, plus if it happens after 30 days again, i would get a refurb and not a brand new one.

I will be going tomorrow as well. Tough luck!!
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Search the forums...it's starting to seem that this is a common problem. I had to exchange my Droid X after the first day due to flickering and "banding" as you call it. The bottom third flickered and then progressed to gray bands that made the lower half of the screen completely unusable. I was able to call Verizon who tracked down a phone at a nearby store for me to do an exchange with. I wouldn't count on that though as quantities are still very limited.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x

screen flicker

I'm having the same problem with my screen, but even after numerous factory resets i'm still unable to fix the problem and it seems to be getting worse. any other advice from anybody.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Trust me it gets worse. Mine started with flickering. Now its 3/4 of screen doing it and is all black. Had to re activate incredible while replacement is mailed to me
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    After getting the run around from VZW (csr to tech to csr), I finally got them to place an order for a new device to be sent to me. Obviously, it wont be until the 7/27, but at least I am getting a new one

Funny thing is now the flickering is not occurring as much, but regardless, dont want to take a chance.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by the5rivers View Post
    Obviously, it wont be until the 7/27, but at least I am getting a new one

Funny thing is now the flickering is not occurring as much, but regardless, dont want to take a chance.
    Talked to them and they wanted me to ship my phone to them first, 2 weeks without a phone isn't an option for me (brand new to Verizon).

Same for me, haven't had any flickering since my last post yesterday. Not sure how I want to procede.

Edit: Anyone get the OTA update due today? Don't suppose it helps anything.
    Last edited by Takenumbrage; 07-19-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links