DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wifi connectivity unreliable with AES (DLink DIR-655)

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by JFDroid View Post
    Edit: I'm dumb. Really dumb. Forgot that WPA-PSK is TKIP and WPA2-PSK is AES. Excuse my idiocy =P

I'm having issues using WPA2 + PSK (AES). I didn't try TKIP yet, or WEP, but I have *zero* issues with an open network. Can't I just set it to an open network and then set MAC address filtering to on, that way only devices whose MAC addresses have been entered can get onto my network?
    Just switched to TKIP and it seem to have fixed it (too soon to be sure). I previously was on WEP and was experiencing the problem as well as a unsecured network. @motorola and/or @verizon still need to address the issue, this isn't going to help me when I'm at my local coffee shop or airport.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I am seeing that this issues occurs on my end when the key is set to auto. When you enter your password for wifi is it set for auto or WPA/WPA2? I think it may just be that the auto feature for the key isn't very good at entering the correct type of key or info.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I'm also having connectivity issues with my Airport Extreme. It will connect but then drop a few minutes later and then a few seconds reconnect again. Subscribed to this post to see if there are any fixes.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DX
    I have this DLink router and i am having the same problem, even with the new update. I think ill stick with 3G at home until they get this fixed.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Same issue and same dir 655 router
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Did we ever get an answer here? I have a D-link 825 and my DROID X connects, disconnects, searches repeat.... over and over... Lots of talk here about connecting TKIP vs AES and WPA-PSK & WPA2-PSK.

Problem is, us tech challenged folks could use some more help on how exactly to change these settings.

This thread may be dead, so possibly a moot point here. But thought I would give it a shot.

Any Help?
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I don’t know if it applies to the X or not but with my Droid "classic" the wifi power management caused similar problems with some routers. I'm rooted and so was able to adjust my /etc/wifi/tiwlan.ini file.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid

Same issue, Same Solution

I have a Verizon/Motorola Droid which just received Android 2.2.2 OTA. I've had the Wifi unreliability issue since I bought the phone back in Dec. 2009 and at that time tried to resolve the issue, but could get no help from Verizon, Motorola nor D-Link. I was glad when I thought to look again today and found this thread. I tried the TKIP setting on my D-Link DIR 655 router and this long time issue is resolved. THANKS FOR POSTING THIS!!!

For the recent non-tech poster who needs help on this, you'll need to consult the manual (or webpage) regarding your router to adjust the settings. Roughly speaking you need to point a browser on your PC to the the default gateway of your router (192.168.0.1 in my case) and it will bring up your router's log-in screen. Log-in as Admin with a password you've already set or with the default password that came with your router (you can probably google that, I don't recall what mine used to be).

Once you are in to your router's admin website, you can configure these settings (at least on the DIR 655, possibly similarly on other D-Link routers) by Set UP [tab] / Wireless Settings [nav bar]/ Manual Configuration [button] / WPA [section] / cipher [dropdown] and select TKIP setting. Hope this helps.

-Hang Ten Ken
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Milestone
    My network using the DIR655 is protected with WPA/WPA2. Will changing to TKIP affect the security of my network? Sorry, non-tech savy senior here. Thanks for your help.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoMile View Post
    My network using the DIR655 is protected with WPA/WPA2. Will changing to TKIP affect the security of my network? Sorry, non-tech savy senior here. Thanks for your help.
    Yes, TKIP is vulnerable to attacks and is almost as insecure as WEP.

I have the same problem with a Droid 1and a Droid 2 Global and my Linksys wireless router. Firmware has not helped. There is CLEARLY something wrong with Moto's implementation of WPA2/AES on all of the Droid's. When either are connected, other devices (laptops, etc.) randomly lose connection too.

My fix has been to leave WiFi disabled on all Droid devices and suck the living crap out of VZW's 3G network, as I don't have another choice. Lowering security is NOT an option for me but I did verify reducing security to WEP/TKIP does resolve the issue here as well. No other devices have a problem with this. Just Motorola.

Never again...big M. Never again.....
    Last edited by joojoobee666; 04-30-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links