DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Spotted Display on Droid X

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Spotted Display on Droid X

I dropped my Droid X and then over the next few days the display started developing these large black spots. Now there are about 5 large black spots about 1/4" to 3/8" in diameter. They make looking at media a hassle and reading texts and e-mails a chore. Is there anything that can be done to remove these spots or do I just need to replace the phone? It needs a battery also so...
  2. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1042 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    Probably gotta replace it.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr MAXX
    The exact same thing happened when I dropped my Droid X. The spots grew at first and then started to shrink a little. I thought they might go away, but then they would grow again. I was ready to replace mine anyway (mine needed battery too). I basically just put up with it for about three months until my contract was up so I could upgrade.

I powered up that phone the other day. The spots are now way bigger than they were the last time I turned on the phone, which was about a year ago.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by mattman5000 View Post
    The exact same thing happened when I dropped my Droid X. The spots grew at first and then started to shrink a little. I thought they might go away, but then they would grow again. I was ready to replace mine anyway (mine needed battery too). I basically just put up with it for about three months until my contract was up so I could upgrade.

I powered up that phone the other day. The spots are now way bigger than they were the last time I turned on the phone, which was about a year ago.
    Wow, mine also needs a battery. I have had to revert back to my old Droid 2 because between the spotted display and the battery that lasts about 5 minutes, the Droid X was about useless. I have an upgrade available but I am waiting till I can buy a new phone outright because my contract is the old unlimited data plan (much to Verizons Chagrin) and I don't want to loose that so I will buy a new phone and then have them just transfer that phone to my existing account. If I do the upgrade, the contract gets redone and I loose my unlimited data. Anyway, too bad about my Droid X. I miss that huge display. The Droid 2 seems tiny now. Did you ever check to see if a new battery is available for the X?
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr MAXX
    At the time, there were replacement Droid X batteries available for about $15 dollars on Amazon.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    @AECRADIO
    Phone
    Droid 2, Droid X, Moto-G

D2 batteries...

Try the Factory Outlet store online, I just bought to DX high capacity batteries from them, and they also have the BP6X cells for the D2.
    I purchased two high cap. batteries for @ $23.00 shipped. I think the standard packs are even less, like $6.95 each, for the BP6X.

I just looked for my sales info, but I must have tossed it already, or I would have supplied the direct contact info.

Search: batteries.factoryoutletstore.com
    Ernest A. Erickson
    Payson, AZ.
    NCC-1701E
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    @AECRADIO
    Phone
    Droid 2, Droid X, Moto-G
    As for the screen; does yours look as mine does, after a drop to the floor, ON the screen, of course?
    Spotted Display on Droid X-dscf0906.jpg
    This is what I see after two days following the drop. The spots grew, and those annoying lines...
    The actual screen is fine, and works as it should, and out of morbid curiosity, I disassembled it, and did not notice any issues with the actual LCD, but my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be, so I think I might have overlooked the problem. I think I will do this tomorrow, and with the phone apart, connect my interface cables, and run it in an open environment and have a magnifying lens to take a closer inspection of both the LCD, and digitizer and polarization. If anything new develops, I'll post images of the actual part that is defective, and order spares.

Addendum:
    The way the image appears, I should rename it: The GREAT BRITAIN BLOTCH.
    Last edited by AECRADIO; 10-07-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Ernest A. Erickson
    Payson, AZ.
    NCC-1701E
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr MAXX
    That is what mine looked like, except I didn't have any of the small dots. I just had the large blobs with the horizontal lines extending from and around the blobs. Kind of like the upper right portion of yours.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    @AECRADIO
    Phone
    Droid 2, Droid X, Moto-G
    The beginning of the disassembly process....More to come!
    Spotted Display on Droid X-dscf0902.jpg
    Ernest A. Erickson
    Payson, AZ.
    NCC-1701E
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    @AECRADIO
    Phone
    Droid 2, Droid X, Moto-G
    Part 2 of the saga...
    Droid X replacement arrived, and I swapped back covers, battery door and a few oher minor interior parts. I may still swap out the bezel assy. but was too lazy to peel off the Kapton flex assemblies.
    But, as I originally suspected, the actual screen is cracked, everything else is in good working order!
    Spotted Display on Droid X-dscf0915.jpg Screen with main board disconnected and laying on its side(do NOT forget the tiny RF cable routed around the camera body).
    Spotted Display on Droid X-dscf0916.jpg Bezel assy with digitizer and flex cabling attached (and those screws you have to remove!)
    Spotted Display on Droid X-dscf0917.jpg Full shot of frame, main board and interior of bezel (cover assy.)

A few end caps remind me of a Mattel 'Snap-Tite' model I put together as a kid.
    A fresh display will return this phone to usable/resellable condition once I wipe it, reflash it to stock, and clean it!
    Ernest A. Erickson
    Payson, AZ.
    NCC-1701E

Links