WPA revives Droid X Wifi killed by Gingerbread
After updating my Droid X to gingerbread (Android version 2.3.3) using the over-the-air (OTA) update, I was unable to connect to the internet through my wifi router (Netgear WNR2000). The Droid X connected to the wifi router without a problem, but would not connect to (fetch anything from) the internet.
I found that changing the security on my wifi router from WPA2 to WPA fixed the problem.
Note that before changing the security on my wifi router, I also tried a few other things that did not work, including: resetting the cable modem, router, and Droid X several times; disabling MMS in the router; setting the router to broadcast the SSID; changing the router's channel from Auto to 2. I reverted to the initial setting after each attempt.