DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media Process Issues After Gingerbread Update

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Media Process Issues After Gingerbread Update

Hi All,

Having some issues with my Droid X after downloading the Gingerbread update today. Was wondering if anyone else had encountered these issues and if so, what the solution would be.

My battery is getting absolutely crushed after installing the update. Looking at my battery usage, the culprit seems to be 'android.process.media' that's drained about 60% of my drainage since restarting the phone about 2 hours ago.

It seems like something really screwy is going on with my media. My stock gallery won't even open, and when I open my secondary gallery, there are no pictures despite having a few hundred stored on my SD card. Furthermore, when going into the music player, none of my music is showing up.

Thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated.

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S3 I535 4.1.2 root

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 3DrinksAhead View Post
    Hi All,

Having some issues with my Droid X after downloading the Gingerbread update today. Was wondering if anyone else had encountered these issues and if so, what the solution would be.

My battery is getting absolutely crushed after installing the update. Looking at my battery usage, the culprit seems to be 'android.process.media' that's drained about 60% of my drainage since restarting the phone about 2 hours ago.

It seems like something really screwy is going on with my media. My stock gallery won't even open, and when I open my secondary gallery, there are no pictures despite having a few hundred stored on my SD card. Furthermore, when going into the music player, none of my music is showing up.

Thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated.
    I'm having the same issue after the upgrade. An old thread suggested a bad media file (some m4a sample file from a ringtone app) caused it to get stuck. I don't know how one goes about finding which file it may be stuck on today, though. Hoping someone comes up with a solution.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Did you guys take the ota?

I had crazy problems with it. Had to sbf back to froyo, root and then install the 2 files from p3.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Thumbs down Media

Having the same issues. Can't open up music or photos. Phone has crashed and rebooted at least 4 times today. Super slow. This is a horrible experience so far. I took the OTA. I'm going to try and get back to froyo.
    Last edited by garyj0nes; 06-01-2011 at 03:53 PM.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone

My Solution

I found this thread after having the same problem, but I have managed to fix the issues (I think). I can now access my music player and gallery, download from the market (I couldn't even do this), and my battery stopped overheating.

All I did was delete the individual pictures from the "dcim" folder. That folder contains all my pictures taken from my phone, but I managed to back them up despite all the crashing.

Phew. Good luck to you, I hope this works!
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    I had the same issue this morning after updating to GB. After trial and error of uninstalling various apps (with no different results), clearing caches, removing the SD card, and everything else I believe I was able to narrow it down.

The last change I made is clearing the Data from the Media Storage within the Settings. Rebooted the droid and Media was no longer at the top of my Battery Usage list ~80%. Since then I have had no issues and reinstalled my recently deleted app also with no issues.

Good Luck!

**Edit: Meant to write in data, not cache, in regards to the deletion of the Media Storage settings
    Last edited by AardvarkBetty; 06-01-2011 at 07:55 PM.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Welp, at least I'm not the only one who's having this problem...thanks for the suggestions.

Bamph, I deleted the pics and thought I was out of the woods - it told me 2 of them were corrupt, and when I went back to my gallery I could at least see the folders of the other pictures I have on the SD card...but this was short lived, and I continue to have the same problem.

Aardvark, how exactly do you clear the cache from the Settings? Apologies if this is obvious, but my phone barely remains stable long enough for me to do anything...so just trying to get all the instructions so I don't have to waste time.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Settings > Applications > Manage Applications (click on All up at the top)
    From there scroll down to and click on Media Storage. From there you should see the button Clear Data, click on that and cross your fingers
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone

How to Clear the Media Cache

3Drinks: Hah! You're right, the problem did resurface. But it looks like clearing the Media cache worked. We shall see if that actually fixed the issue for good.

Here's how I did it: Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/"All" Tab/Media Storage (with all the crashing, this one is stressful to reach)/"Clear Data" button/Confirm

Then reboot the phone, and your media should all be there (except for the pictures I incorrectly advised that you delete. Sorry about that, I really thought that worked...).
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Though I editted my original post to read to clear the data I suppose clearing both cache and data would be wise.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links