DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: suggestions request - Droid X as small wifi tablet device

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    htc thunderbolt

suggestions request - Droid X as small wifi tablet device

So

my plan is to get to a stage where my X is a pocket sized wifi tablet, with as many things as I can get to work with no phone service attached. I would like to see if I can do things like getting the GPS etc functioning, so that it can be used as a navigation aid, and such things

The question I have is, does anyone have any suggestions on a starting point for getting into this? apparently I'm late enough to playing with it that there is a rather overwhelming amount of stuff out there, and while I'm not worried technically about following any of the instructions, I am having troubles working out a good place to start playing!

Thanks!

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    Phone
    D1, X, Tbolt, DC, DB, GNex, S4
    Premium Member
    GPS will work with out phone service but you have to have a WiFi connection, no WiFi connection no gps.

I have been using my OG Droid as a WiFi device for almost 5 months now. Mostly web browsing and YouTube.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.
    New to android or just need to brush up on the basics? Abe has every thing you need Here:
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net

Respect is number 1 in the Forums.

We are the droid owners
    Resistance is Futile, YOU Will be Assimilated...

4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    htc thunderbolt
    comforting reply - I'm glad it is working that way - I was also thinking of doing things like removing the "phone" button, or potentially re-purposing it to skype, and changing it up to mean that other features and programs that were not usable without a phone connection were either not there, or at least better hidden.

I'm assuming that that needs rooting, and maybe some of the customization things from a new ROM, and I'd also like to be able to back up the whole system when I have it the way I'd like it - so those were the sort of ideas that were in my head when I was looking for suggestions on places to start.

Thanks
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Hemorrdroid
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver7714 View Post
    GPS will work with out phone service but you have to have a WiFi connection, no WiFi connection no gps.

I have been using my OG Droid as a WiFi device for almost 5 months now. Mostly web browsing and YouTube.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.
    GPS doesnt require a data flow, the only reason you need data is if you need to download maps, there are apps out there that cache maps on your SD card, this would require no data connection while you were out.

Quote Originally Posted by twistle View Post
    comforting reply - I'm glad it is working that way - I was also thinking of doing things like removing the "phone" button, or potentially re-purposing it to skype, and changing it up to mean that other features and programs that were not usable without a phone connection were either not there, or at least better hidden.

I'm assuming that that needs rooting, and maybe some of the customization things from a new ROM, and I'd also like to be able to back up the whole system when I have it the way I'd like it - so those were the sort of ideas that were in my head when I was looking for suggestions on places to start.

Thanks
    You don't need to root to do this. Download "Launcher Pro" from the market. You can replace all the icons at the bottom with anything you want. After you install it, press the home button, then select LP.

Here is a link to a free Mod of Google maps, that allows you to cache to SD.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=630887
    Last edited by hemorrdroid; 04-07-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    Thunderbolt
    CM7 Pre-Alpha
    Good bye MOTO

Links