DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Turning off apps

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x

Turning off apps

I have a Droid X with several apps that run all of the time. I have the task killer installed but the apps turn on as soon as my phone is used. Is there a way to turn the apps off completely and then turn them back on at a later time? The reason why I am looking for this answer is we will be in another country and I would like the ability to use the phone if needed without paying the expensive data charges since I will be roaming.

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    @Body_Bagz
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    1) Get rid of the task killer...its not needed and is liable to cause more issues than curing of them. Click and read the link in my signature below...very informative about task killers and why they arent needed in Android.

2) What apps are you concerned with running or roaming?

3) Out of country you should really only be worried with Data usage...and a phone call to Verizon can clear a lot of that up ahead of time.

Bagz Droid Razr, Most Nearly Bone Stock
    ...Rooted...ROM`d too many times to list...and still kicking iPhones in the @$$ on a daily basis....

4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    Thanks BodyBagz, I took your advise and went to Verizon (instead of calling) and explained the problem. One young kid there was a little bewildered but started scrolling through the settings menu on my phone. settings - wireless & networks - mobile networks - system select - and then highlighted "home only". He said this "should" take care of it. Does anyone know if this is correct? He didn't display a large amount of confidence.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tc_rain View Post
    Thanks BodyBagz, I took your advise and went to Verizon (instead of calling) and explained the problem. One young kid there was a little bewildered but started scrolling through the settings menu on my phone. settings - wireless & networks - mobile networks - system select - and then highlighted "home only". He said this "should" take care of it. Does anyone know if this is correct? He didn't display a large amount of confidence.
    The kid was an idiot..Verizon has no Roaming charges int he US.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    The reason why I want to turn off the apps is I will be in another country and I don't want to rack up data charges.
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    The reason why I want to turn off the apps is I will be in another country and I don't want to rack up data charges.
    Your X wont use data unless you're going to Mexico. Most of the world uses GMS, your X uses CDMA. The only time you will use data is when you turn on wifi and that won't cost you a dime.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct

Links