DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: SBF to 2.2?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X

SBF to 2.2?

So I am in apex 1.0, and android 2.2(2.3.15.MB810) and long story short, i didn't back up, so I'm stuck. I want to undate to the new DX version(2.3.340), and then maybe to a new version of apex. I'm guessing that i want to sbf, but I'm being careful, and i don't want to brick my phone. So if someone could point me to a tutorial, or give me instructions, that would be great.
    Thanks, and if you need more information, ask.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I'd like to distinguish between hardware "bricked" phones and bricked phones resulting from changes in software. If you are overclocking and you fry the CPU, then you bricked the phone as a result of a hardware modification. You're kinda stuck in that situation. However, if you "brick" your phone as a result of a software modification, then you can revert to default settings through the use of a system backup file (SBF). Note that software modifications include rooting, installing a custom bootloader, or using a custom ROM.

Reverting to the default settings through the use of an SBF will erase your settings, including your contacts, applications, or any bookmarks you have. You can backup contacts and applications through your Google account.

So, if you're just dealing with software modifications, then you don't run the risk of permanently "bricking" your phone.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X

Thanks

ok, good to know, but how do i do a software sbf? i know there is a file i need somewhere
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshpriebe1234 View Post
    ok, good to know, but how do i do a software sbf? i know there is a file i need somewhere
    If you can get into clockwork, and since you are on system version 2.3.15, you can use the maderstcok.zip file to get you to .340. Quicker and easier than an SBF.

Having said that, remember either of these options will bring the phone back to new out of the box status (minus stuff on the sd card) and you will have to re setup everything..

See this thread for instructions:

maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip

This is where my time is spent away from the office!

Links