DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: multitasking w/browser

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

multitasking w/browser

Is there a way to keep a browser window in the background, so that I can still hear a live audio stream? It appears that when I open a new window in the browser, or go to my home screen and do something else -- the audio for the window with the stream shuts off. Here's the practical scenario: I found a website (radioreference.com) that streams the LA County Fire channel Blue 8, where all of their EMS/Fire calls are dispatched. I would like to be able to monitor this feed when I am on an ambulance shift, but also want to use my phone for browsing and other purposes simultaneously. I have tested it with my PC, and it appears that whenever the feed window is put in the background the audio cuts out. When I turn on the power save, or the phone automatically turns off the screen, the feed is still audible. It would seem that the hardware of the Droid X is capable of this. Any suggestions?

DFTC

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X Custom Setup
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidFromTheCrypt View Post
    Is there a way to keep a browser window in the background, so that I can still hear a live audio stream? It appears that when I open a new window in the browser, or go to my home screen and do something else -- the audio for the window with the stream shuts off. Here's the practical scenario: I found a website (radioreference.com) that streams the LA County Fire channel Blue 8, where all of their EMS/Fire calls are dispatched. I would like to be able to monitor this feed when I am on an ambulance shift, but also want to use my phone for browsing and other purposes simultaneously. I have tested it with my PC, and it appears that whenever the feed window is put in the background the audio cuts out. When I turn on the power save, or the phone automatically turns off the screen, the feed is still audible. It would seem that the hardware of the Droid X is capable of this. Any suggestions?

DFTC
    hm...you could try a different browser. Dolphin Browser HD supports multiple tabs, so at the very least you can browse at the same time (hypothetically).
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

dolphin HD, multi-task with audio stream

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Dolphin HD (which seems like a superior browser to the stock) but still ran into the same problem. One thing I noticed, when I open a new tab (or an email, text message, etc.) -- the audio streams appear to pause, rather than simply going on mute. I streamed the audio on my computer and DX simultaneously. I found that when I went away from the stream in Dolphin to browse another tab, as I heard the calls being dispatched (computer) -- I would wait for but not hear them on my droid. After switching back to the correct tab, the droid feed would un-pause itself and eventually catch up to the live stream.

Anyhow, I'm open to any other suggestions, and also wondering if anyone else has been able to accomplish this feat (keeping a live audio feed in the background while multi-tasking.) I have not attempted to root yet, but plan to in the future when I feel sufficiently educated.

DFTC

Links