Hi and thanks in advance for your help. I did search the forums for a solution to my problem, but couldn't seem to find anything. If I missed the thread I needed, please excuse my duplicate post and direct me to the proper place.
From the top: I rooted my stock phone using the non adb method via a terminal emulator. I used this method because I couldn't get adb to see my device. Yes I had usb debugging turned on and tried all the connection types. The root was successful and I was able to use several programs that required su permissions. Then a week or so later I did a legit over-the-air upgrade to froyo. The upgrade was successful. Now I've tried to use some things that require su. They are unable to get root access and I don't ever get the permission request popup. I still have the su app in my launcher. The list is not blank. I do not get the # in terminal emulator, it stays as the $. I tried the same root process again, including redownloading the necessary files. It fails right at beginning when I type in the first command to change the directory. I discovered later that this method doesn't work with froyo. Then I found that you can use the one-click method that was intended for the droid 2 on my droid x. So I did that, and the program seemed to think it was successful, but the droid disagrees, and nothing seems to have changed since before I made the first attempt to re-root.