DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best way to update my DX to Gingerbread?

1. budmonster

Red face Whats the best way to update my DX to Gingerbread?

I know these questions has been probably been answered a million times already so I do apologize ahead of time, but I have been away from the Android scene for awhile now and I'm trying to catch up on everything. I would search through all the pages to get my answers but with work and my son I have little time. I'm seeing several ways to update to the new GB OTA, Deodexed, etc. and I'm confused. Now onto my question...

I'm still on 2.2.1 (.340), I'm not on a ROM or anything just rooted. I now want to the plunge and update to the the final Gingerbread OTA that's out. I checked out this page Official Gingerbread Release (This is not Rooted or Deodexed) Verizon Gingerbread OTA and it has the GB OTA update.zip for download, but it's not rooted. When I click on the link to download it, the file comes up as "Blur_Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US.zip (111.69 MB)"? My phone says Im already on Blur_Version.2.3.340.MB810.Verizon.en.US? Is that just a typo because I thought the GB OTA was "2.3.3(4.5.588)"? Maybe I'm just misunderstanding all this?

So If I download that update.zip and flash it, will it update my phone to the Verizon DroidX GB OTA 2.3.3(4.5.588)? Then once I'm done flashing that zip, can't I just go ahead and use that new Gingerbreak APK to gain root?

But if I do it that way I wont be able to use themes/ROMs right? Because the update.zip is not Deodexed?

So what is the best way for me to update to GB? I want to be able to use the themes/roms that are out.

I hope I didn't confuse everyone, thanks for your patience and help.
    -budmonster
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Why don't you go to the market and get the donated version of liberty toolbox? Download it, open it, and go to Rom Manager/Nighties and download the 0.1 full install for froyo. Then you'll be running the Liberty rom on Gingerbread all in one shot. After that you can go back and update to 0.3.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  3. budmonster
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJatey View Post
    Why don't you go to the market and get the donated version of liberty toolbox? Download it, open it, and go to Rom Manager/Nighties and download the 0.1 full install for froyo. Then you'll be running the Liberty rom on Gingerbread all in one shot. After that you can go back and update to 0.3.

I dont want to be on liberty, I want to be on stock GB deodexed.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Sorry, just an idea. I see Macpro has hooked you up over at DX. Kind of the long way to go about it. I had the direct link for you but took it down because I didn't have P3's consent. The update file you mentioned earlier is the correct update. You can downlaod that and apply the break or go with Macpro. Good luck.
  5. budmonster
    Sorry, just an idea. I see Macpro has hooked you up over at DX. Kind of the long way to go about it. I had the direct link for you but took it down because I didn't have P3's consent. The update file you mentioned earlier is the correct update. You can downlaod that and apply the break or go with Macpro. Good luck.
    im confused on what your saying? so theres 2 ways to get to GB?

1. flash the update.zip, then use that Gingerbreak APK to root it?

2. follow macpros guide by installing the 3 parts? then i install the NoBloat.2.3.588_rooted_deodexed.zip to make it deodexed?
  6. budmonster
    also if do the update.zip and then apply gingerbreak to gain root how do i deodex GB? do i flash NoBloat.2.3.588_rooted_deodexed.zip?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Yes, but the first won't get you deodexed which is what you want so go with Mac.
  8. budmonster
    Yes, but the first won't get you deodexed which is what you want so go with Mac.
    Ok so let me get this straight once and for all…

To get my phone updated to the OTA Gingerbread and also Deodexed I follow these instructions:
    1. Download Part1, Part2 and Part3
    2. Restart phone in DROID2 Bootstrap recovery
    3. Wipe phone
    4. Install zips in order, part 1,2,3
    5. Wipe again and reboot
    6. Once phone is rebooted, install droid2 bootstrap again
    7. Reboot into droid2 bootstrap and flash the NoBloat.2.3.588_rooted_deodexed.zip

After I do all this I will have the OTA Gingerbread rooted and deodexed on my phone, correct?
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Yes, only way I know for what you want. Good luck.

10. budmonster
    Cant I just flash NoBloat.2.3.588_rooted_deodexed.zip to get on Gingerbread and deodexed?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links