DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Hate to be the old man...

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Hate to be the old man...

So I decided to upgrade from my cough... erm... rooted... Droid Eris... To a Droid X. Big difference.

Anyways, I ran the Z4root and it worked fine. I haven't deleted any apps or really done anything with it because I want a ROM on it. I am use to the Eris.. which was super easy compared to this I feel. I don't even know what to do.

1. I am totally effing confused on what I need to do to properly get a ROM running on my phone. Some say I need GB .596 (Liberty), others .602, others don't need anything (Rubix) which is now no longer in "production" for the X.

2. I am looking for a ROM that frees up a lot of memory, and is stable (I can use all of the phones features and no weird random reboots)

So... Does anybody want to help me figure things out? Thanks

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx, Droid X
    you're just confused because you're used to a different phone, it's normal, welcome to the Droid X! To flash a ROM you need to make sure you are on the same kernel that ROM uses, so if you are on .602 then you need a ROM that uses the .602 kernel. All you need to ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery (same app) and you can flash any ROM on the right kernel. I would recommend MIUI or Shuji, the battery life and stability are the best in my experience.

Here's a really informative thread for you to look at to understand better: All-In-One POST ROOT Thread
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by leftspin View Post
    you're just confused because you're used to a different phone, it's normal, welcome to the Droid X! To flash a ROM you need to make sure you are on the same kernel that ROM uses, so if you are on .602 then you need a ROM that uses the .602 kernel. All you need to ROM Manager and Clockwork Recovery (same app) and you can flash any ROM on the right kernel. I would recommend MIUI or Shuji, the battery life and stability are the best in my experience.

Here's a really informative thread for you to look at to understand better: All-In-One POST ROOT Thread
    Thanks for the response and link.

So from my understanding, I need to have all the stock apps etc that came on the phone and running the stock version of Froyo to upgrade to ANY newer version of GB correct?

Also, ROM Manager and Clockwork recovery, I am assuming that is the Droid X Bootstrap program? I am scared of buying it, doing something to wipe data and then having to buy it again... Is there another free app to use?

Shinji... Where is that located? I have only come across Liberty, cyanogen, rubix and one senseimods.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx, Droid X
    not necessarily. If I were you, I would do an SBF to .602 so that you can use a Gingerbread ROM like Shuji or Apex. After you're on .602, re root using the D3 one click exploit, download ROM Manager (the free version is fine) from the market and flash Clockwork Recovery from there. Then download whichever ROM you want and put it on your sdcard. Then right from the ROM manager app you can flash the ROM (select "install ROM from SD card"), just be sure to wipe data, cache and dalvik. That part is the very important.

How to SBF: Complete Droid X .sbf Flashing Guide
    You'll need these files: DROIDX Gingerbread 4.5.602 SBF Released - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    One Click Root: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/gi...-gb-605-a.html
    Shuji ROM: [ROM] Shuji ROM 2.2 - DX
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X LB GB .8
    Great replys. You'll get more confused on which rom u want to run based on what they offer than on the process or flashing it.

x.sys
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Thanks on the reply! Will def get on this
    Last edited by wings88; 10-03-2011 at 09:37 AM.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I very highly recommend the Vortex rom. I have tested dozens of roms and it is the best so far for me. Outstanding battery life with ubdervolting, extremely stable, all needed blur there for proper hdmi and camera functionality. Even my wife loves it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Got it working

Had to buy and dl the bootstrapper though. Romman did not work
    Last edited by wings88; 10-09-2011 at 04:20 PM.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx, Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by wings88 View Post
    Got it working

Had to buy and dl the bootstrapper though. Romman did not work
    glad to hear you got it working! yeah, you can't boot into clockwork without bootstrapping, but I think it's good to pay for apps like that because then the developers get something back for making those apps for us.

Links