DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Customs ROMS and paid apps.

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X

Customs ROMS and paid apps.

Sorry to sound like a n00b here, but I've done some searching and can't find an answer.

I've been rooted for months now (Droid X) but am now comfortable enough with the process to try to install a custom ROM. I am thinking of installing Dark Slide, but I have a couple of questions in this regard.

1) I have a number of paid apps on my DX from the Android market. Will those be affected/run properly on Dark Slide?
    2) Same question regarding apps from Amazon Apps.

Many thanks, in advance, for assistance.

DJ PlaZma

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
    Last edited by djplazma; 04-26-2011 at 10:38 AM.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Twitter
    dtdlurch
    Phone
    Motorola DROID 3
    1.) No. Theoretically, all apps should run on any ROM. There are exceptions, but they are usually few and far between (at least, IMHO). Sometimes there are issues or bugs, but I'd like to think they get ironed out. Without going in depth into ROMs, I'll leave it at this: I install different ROMS (eg DarkSlide, Liberty, Apex) constantly. I never have a concern about whether or not my apps are going to work.

A bit of advice though, get Titanium Backup or something similar. You don't want to have to go back through and redownload everything you've picked up already.

2.) This....I'm not as confident about, but I'm fairly sure it is the same situation. That is, I don't think you should have any problems. Reinstall the Amazon App Store and you should have access to all of your apps you downloaded from it. You have to have the Amazon App to run the apps you purchased from it. If you restore the purchased apps from a backup, but don't restore the Amazon App Store, they won't run. It should give you a friendly reminder though just in case you neglect to do so!
    Rockin' the DROID 3
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Thanks for the information. I was thinking that they probably would, but I thought an opinion from someone experienced would give me that extra little boost of confidence.

Oh, and Titanium Backup? MUST HAVE, and I use it religiously.

Again, many thanks.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    The amazon market functions very similar to the android market. Its saves all your apps in the "My apps" section so they are always there regardless if change roms or not. You just have to re-download them.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTZ Rezound
    I noticed than when you backup all apps and data with titanium and install a new rom - wipe/cache that if you reinstall all apps through titanium you lose the ability to get automatic updates with Amazon AppStore. You have to reinstall those from the AppStore first, then run a batch operation to restore all apps with data then uncheck all apps then only check off those where you had stored data from an AppStore app and select Data Only, then run the batch.

Anyone know of an easier way to get to the same result? It seems like a lot of steps to me but that's the only way I've been able to make sure the AppStore apps update and still retain data.
  7. App Themer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    motorola droid, Incredible als
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer

just my thought

I personally manually backup anthing I didn't d/l from android market to my sdcard so I can once I load whatever rom onto whatever phone for that matter and I can just pop onto sdcard rootexplorer is installed then I just manually put them in.

rootexplorer best app I ever paid for on any android device, since I root everyphone i've played with

started with OG droid moved on the droid incredible for about one month hated senceUI so I jumped on DroidX on release day via preorder.

Then I got ahold of my friends Nexus 1 and NexusS have them both running android 2.3.4 with all the custom apks that I had since my OG droid.
    Old devices
    Droid 1 running cm10

Droid incredible running cm7
    Nexus One running cm9
    Droid x running darkslide
    Droid x2 running cm10
    Droid 3 running AOKP
    Current devices
    Verizon GS3 running Synergy r484: zerolemon 7000mah
    Nexus 10 running AOKP
    mine
    Nexus 10 running Cleanrom