DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! I can't download or update apps

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x

Help! I can't download or update apps

I started using Apex 1.41 the other day and I really like it so far, but I cannot download new apps or update current ones.

The entire download takes place and during the installation an error pops up saying the installation was unsuccessful. Unknown reason - 18.

I used bootstrap to flash Apex after I did a system restore. I used titanium backup to restore individual apps. Im using Droid X.

Can anyone help?

( If need be I can revert to my old state, but I really don't want to. I like apex a lot. )
  2. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    devvortex
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus (CDMA)
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by timpo View Post
    I started using Apex 1.41 the other day and I really like it so far, but I cannot download new apps or update current ones.

The entire download takes place and during the installation an error pops up saying the installation was unsuccessful. Unknown reason - 18.

I used bootstrap to flash Apex after I did a system restore. I used titanium backup to restore individual apps. Im using Droid X.

Can anyone help?

( If need be I can revert to my old state, but I really don't want to. I like apex a lot. )
    Only time I ever had this problem, it was due to some corruption on my sd card. I had to format the sd card (after backing up all my stuff first), then everything was happy again.

I figured mine was due to having apps on the sdcard, then flashing a new rom and the apps got restored to the internal memory (probably because it was plugged into a pc as usb mass storage mode), then when an update tried to happen, it was all screwed up as to where the "real" app was.

Try backing up, then formatting the sd card. After it works for you just copy back the stuff you need. Might be some good housecleaning anyway

Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if both are frozen
    ~ Edward V Berard
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by timpo View Post

Can anyone help?

Per Tillyswilly:

if you delete the “.android_secure” folder off the SD card that will fix it all together and you wont have 2go2 the unmount everytime.....1 drawback is you might have to reinstall some apps i had to reinstall about 15 but now it downloads all the apps just fine
    Baton Rouge, LA
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    @bayoufisher - deleting the android_secure folder didn't work.

@plower.net - I put all of my recovered apps onto the phone for now and pulled the sd card... it did the trick. Thank you. Im going to reformat it now to get rid of the bug.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Fab had the fix posted on his site. There is a folder on the SD card called "android_secure". It gets added when apps are installed to the SD card. I don't remember his entire explanation but you just have to delete that file using root explorer and reboot. Then all apps update successfully.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    I deleted fhe folder but never rebooted... Oh well. My sd card was due for some cleaning anyways.

Thanks for all the help.

7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    Soo... Its doing it again and the old tricks arent working. The second time it happened, I was able to delete the android_secure file and reboot and everything was great. I havent tried downloading many new apps but ive been unable to update most of my current apps with the same error - 18.

The only way I can update is to remove my sd card and redownload the app (or move it back to my phone and remove the card and then update).

This is beginning to become a deal breaker for me. I dont want to get rid of apex, but I need to be able to update my apps.

Does anyone know of any new (and permanent) ideas to solve this problem?

8. Superuser
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    bigxie
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Is there a particular app that keeps triggering this reoccuring problem?

Also, did you move all your sdcard apps to the phone prior to deleting .android_secure folder?

I've only ever encountered this issue once, and moving all my apps to phone, then deleting the folder, rebooting, and the issue never came back.

9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    No app in particular, I have about 10 updates right now, and only 2 updated successfully.

I havent tried moving all of the apps yet, ill try it now. I had tested it out with one app (pewpew) before, but it didnt actually work until I physically pulled the card.

Hopefully it will work. Thanks for responding.

10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    So this is weird. After moving everything to my phone and rebooting with clockwork (and leaving my sd card in), all of my non game apps updated successfully and all of my games were unsuccessful with out exception.

Games: angry birds, stupid zombies, cordy, ninja rush.
    Other apps: titanium backup, pulse news reader, alarmdroid, dolphin browser hd.

Its worth noting that originally all 8 apps updated unsucessfully.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links