DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to pay for roms/themes?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would definitely pay for ROMs and themes

18 29.51%
  • Yes, I would pay for ROMs but not themes

5 8.20%
  • No, I love ROMs because they are FREEEEEEE.....

21 34.43%
  • No, this is a terrible idea

12 19.67%
  • I'm not sure

5 8.20%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay for Roms/Themes?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Would you pay for Roms/Themes?

I created an account specifically to post this poll. I have been hacking my phone for a while now and noticed a lot of the developers running into issues with this or that with their hardware and preventing them from being able to develop until donations are made to buy them a new device.

So I got to thinking..... what if they charged everyone $1 to download their ROM or theme? I know I would be more than willing to pay for the work they put in.... I would happily forgo a cup of coffee in order to have my phone running as smooth and quick as it does thanks to rubiX or Liberty. I would also do the same for juicemane and his beautiful themes.

Think about how this would affect the ROMs and our community, devs would be more motivated because they would be receiving some compensation and it would even attract other developers because they know they would be receiving money for putting in the work. The rom community would be no different than the market, developers could put stuff out and get paid.

The question is this.... would you be willing to pay a small amount like $1 to download the roms, it would work similar to buying an app from the market but you could instead pay via paypal.

What do you all think? (I chose the droid X board on purpose because I know there are many people here who believe in supporting developers)

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    gingersensed thunderbolt
    i would pay for both, however, there has to be some sort of return policy. i have tried pretty much every ROM out there, as well as multiple themes simply because something wasn't working for me. i am all for supporting the developers. they should put something into the ROM that after 30 days or something, a pop-up comes up and has a paypal donate page.
  4. JOx
    Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Most of us do....
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    NeverEndingXsin
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I understand everything your saying and its a good idea but a few things.

If developers starting charging people to download there roms (the code of which comes from bigger companies) could cause legal issues. If you remember beautiful widgets and htc getting mad at it for having the same looking clock they already made. Forced him to change the clock.

If developers charged for there roms it could be abused and they could put out a lot of smaller updates and charge for each one which over time adds up.

A lot of people already send these guys donations for there work. But legally I don't think they can charge you to download it but I could be wrong.

Bottom line: your posing a good idea and could work, but I think there's a few issues that could come about from doing it
    Twitter? Follow Me @NeverEndingXsin

Google+ Invites? Yeah i got them
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    First..... let me point you to this post by juicemane...

[THEME] Black.Juice.v5.themes

By his calculations 1/275 people donate..... that is not "most of us"

@xsin

You bring up a good point, there would more than likely be legal repercussions.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    NeverEndingXsin
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo_ View Post
    First..... let me point you to this post by juicemane...

[THEME] Black.Juice.v5.themes

By his calculations 1/275 people donate..... that is not "most of us"

@xsin

You bring up a good point, there would more than likely be legal repercussions.
    I think the donations depend on the phone/rom, I don't have a droid x so I'm not sure how many people use that. But I know for the original droid people have donated a good amount to the well known devs.

And yes definitely legal repercussions. Accepting donations is okay, but charging would cause a problem
    Twitter? Follow Me @NeverEndingXsin

Google+ Invites? Yeah i got them
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Samsung Droid Charge
    I really appreciate everything the devs here do. They do a great job helping us get the most out of our phone. However, there are not any rom's that i would pay for. The reason being is there is not any rom available that has "it all" or is free from bugs like most software that you pay for.

Also since android is open source i am fairly sure it would be illegal.
  9. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I think if people were to start paying for roms the quality of roms would sky rocket and real talented people would come in. Making roms isn't attractive to devs at all. In all honesty I consider any time I spend making a rom free work. If I were to keep track of how much I made per hour working on roms it would probably come to $1 an hour. Devs have a much greater payout and guarantee of return by working on apps for the Android market. This keeps many talented devs from even considering working on a rom. I do roms for fun, not for money and the fact that I still do them after a year and recieving a very low return shows that... so charging for roms or not, I'm still going to be making roms. Just putting in my 2 cents.
  10. Steel Droid ROM Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    201 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, Galaxy Nexus, LG G2
    DroidForums.net Developer
    JRummy has an excellent point. I don't know about other devs, but I spend more than 70% of my day thinking about my ROM. 50% of that time is spent working on it. I have only received $70 in donations since I started developing, and nothing in the last 2 months. I'm not complaining. I'm learning a lot by doing this, so wether or not I make any money from this, isn't an issue. I'm broke, and looking at possible eviction because I don't make enough money at my 2 jobs to pay all of rent and bills. Its a learning process, but its not the end of the world. :-) My situation is temporary
    ! NEW DEVICE ! (as of 01-05-2014)
    LG G2 VS980 (VZW) (32GB)
    Stock VS98012B (rooted)
    TWRP 2.7.0.0

Motorola Droid 1

Steel Droid v12.0 (GB WIP)
    RZ's 2.0.3 Recovery

Galaxy Nexus (32GB)

If you like my work, please donate!
  11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    I donate to certain devs who roms i use.. i dont donate every release but i try to hit them up every now and then. same way with themerers i follow 2 themers and they have both received donations from me. not saying i dont try other themes and roms, and not donatate.. but the ones i keep going back to receive my money.

i think you have a good idea .. i think it would be illegal though.
    "The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"

Razr maxx
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Links