DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Drivers] Droid X Bluetooth Driver

1. Team FreeMyMoto
    Member #
    Twitter
    Jaxidian
    Phone
    G1 -> DX -> Nook -> TBolt
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member

[Drivers] Droid X Bluetooth Driver

This is the dedicated thread for Droid X Bluetooth Driver information and discussions. Please keep conversation here technical and on-topic. We will strictly moderate off-topic chatter out of this thread. We will keep this OP updated with links and other pieces of information about developing Droid X Wifi Drivers.

AOSP Bluetooth Library Guide states: "BlueZ is Bluetooth 2.1 compatible and should work with any 2.1 chipset"
    OMAP36xx Chip Diagram - Should be TI-supplied if the BlueZ implementation isn't specific enough

(more to come)
    Support @FreeMyMoto

3. Team FreeMyMoto
    Member #
    Twitter
    Jaxidian
    Phone
    Premium Member
    This is just the tip of the iceberg of information to acquire. While we really need some driver devs, you techie non-devs can help us too! Help us find information, such as the answers to these questions:
    • What is the chipset model of the Bluetooth module inside the Droid X? Is there more than just the OMAP36xx processor involved?
    • Where are some forum posts of people writing/compiling Linux drivers for this chipset?
    • Is there a development portal focused on this chipset?
    • Are there any variations of this chipset inside the Droid X?

Are there any other questions or information that you've stumbled upon regarding this? If you can give us some summaries of what you find and give us plenty of links to what you're finding, this will help us tremendously!
    Support @FreeMyMoto
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX
    I found this info for the D2. From what I understand, the D2 and DX are very closely related, hardware-wise. Not sure if it's any help but here it is.

Look at Step 15. They state that it's a TI WL1271B WLAN Bluetooth/FM chip.

Motorola Droid 2 Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    According to two sources

device_information [And Developers]

https://www.droid-developers.org/wiki/Motorola_Droid_X

Both state that the Droid X's Bluetooth module is the TriQuint TQM679002.

I was able to find a Data sheet concerning the part here TQM679002

But unfortunately at this time I couldn't find any information regarding Drivers. I will keep looking. Hope this helps in some way.

Edit: It also seems that it is in fact the same module as the Motorola Droid. So contacting people who have worked with this on the D1 could be useful.
    Last edited by Ubermicro13; 02-21-2011 at 12:45 PM.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    gibsonsg98
    Phone
    Droid X
    These driver searches are fun, what a great way to learn about the innards of the phone.

Usually it seems that the Droid 2 and X are lumped together because they are similar in a lot of ways but the more I search the more I see similarities between the OG Droid and the X. Maybe some of the secrets to the X will lie within the unlocked OG Droid. Here is an interesting diagram from the OG DROID that shows how the components work with each other from ifixit.com:

Notice the WLAN/Bluetooth chip in the diagram is the same as listed in this teardown of the X:

Teardown of the Motorola Droid X Smart Phone Recent Teardowns Chipworks

Now we have drivers for the wireless already, would these also work with the bluetooth since it seems to be a combo chip? Or would the drivers for the bluetooth be in the same location at the WLAN ones?

There seems to to be "conflicting" information between some of the teardown sites. Some list the TI WL1271A some list the TriQuint TQM679002 as the bluetooth controller. From what I am reading it may just be a combination of the two and some list one and some list another. The TriQuint is listed as a FEM (front-end module). Reading more into this led me to this diagram:

Since the TriQuint lists as a WLAN/bluetooth combo FEM (per the link from Ubermicro13) and the WLAN already works and is probably using the TriQuint so I am guessing there won't be drivers for this chip and the TI WL1271A is what we are looking for for the bluetooth to work.

Does this seem reasonable from someone who isn't talking out of their ass like I am or did I just try mix jigsaw puzzles together and hope for a nice picture lol
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Habe View Post
    There seems to to be "conflicting" information between some of the teardown sites. Some list the TI WL1271A some list the TriQuint TQM679002 as the bluetooth controller. From what I am reading it may just be a combination of the two and some list one and some list another. The TriQuint is listed as a FEM (front-end module). Reading more into this led me to this diagram:

Since the TriQuint lists as a WLAN/bluetooth combo FEM (per the link from Ubermicro13) and the WLAN already works and is probably using the TriQuint so I am guessing there won't be drivers for this chip and the TI WL1271A is what we are looking for for the bluetooth to work.
    I was thinking the same. They must both be involved. Does anyone know what we should be looking for?
  8. Team FreeMyMoto
    Member #
    Twitter
    Jaxidian
    Phone
    Premium Member
    According to this image from TI (the second link in the OP), there are two parts to the Bluetooth module (one for voice and one for data). Perhaps you two are finding the two different parts? I really don't know, personally.

Support @FreeMyMoto
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    gibsonsg98
    Phone
    Droid X
    Looking at the bottom of the page Luca992 posted with the wifi driver, bluetooth is listed as a ToDo.

TODO

• Add information on WLAN-BT co-existence
    • Add porting instructions for Android OS
    • Add more information required for new HW bringup

wl12xx - Linux Wireless

Could they be right in there already?
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Im going to tear mine down after work. Ill post the pics and all the info off the chips.ill number the chips to list data easier if that helps.on a side note I have no idea what chipsto list so ill do all of them.
  11. Team FreeMyMoto
    Member #
    Twitter
    Jaxidian
    Phone
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Habe View Post
    Looking at the bottom of the page Luca992 posted with the wifi driver, bluetooth is listed as a ToDo.

TODO

• Add information on WLAN-BT co-existence
    • Add porting instructions for Android OS
    • Add more information required for new HW bringup

wl12xx - Linux Wireless

Could they be right in there already?
    Are you suggesting they might be in the wifi drivers we got working the other day?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
    Support @FreeMyMoto
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links