DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Pros and Cons of Roms

1. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Twitter
    BHuber09
    Phone
    GNex
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer

Pros and Cons of Roms

Im looking for a new rom. I have Rubix 1.9.7 and its okay but I want to try out a few more. And I have no clue where to begin. If some people could just write the pros and cons of some different Roms and if they are blur or blurless it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX
    FreeMyMoto!!!
    Nastiest Crew Takeover!!!
    If You Need Help P.M Me
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I think there are pro's and con's to every rom out there depending on your own personal taste. First make a nandroid of what you have now. Then figure out blur vs blurless and try a few. I usually give a new rom a few days to "settle in" and play with the settings to make sure I'm giving it a fair shake. All the heavy hitter roms with the exception of Tranquility are posted in this forum so my suggestion would be try them all.

I organized several folders on my sd card to allow easy rom changing to include a recovery folder containing maderstock, z4root, bootstrap, several full custom rom zips, and of course my nandroids if i'm in a hurry. Then its a simple matter of restoring a few things with titanium and appbrain. I can pretty much install a rom cleanly from unrooted 340 and restore my apps and settings within 10 minutes now.

I have tried Darkslide, GummyJar, Apex, Fission, Liberty, Tranquility, Unleashed, Rumm Rx, and countless theme variations of each. I prefer the blurless roms and found GummyJar and RubiX (my default OS) to be the best for me in terms of speed and stability with no issues at all.
    Droid X - Deodexed, Liguid Gingerbread 2.3, QuickClock Advanced balanced. Go Launcher and SwiftKey. Handcent SMS.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Luckily many of the rom developers collaborate and share the best parts of their rom with others, so its tough to go wrong. The biggest differences will be the intentional differences. For instance, Apex retains more blur than most Roms. This has the advantage that it is more hardware compatible, meaning HDMI out works, where in AOSP (blurless) roms, it does not.

Bottom line is, "pro" and "con" is a relative term -- relative to what it is you want. You have to decide what you want from the Rom, the things you want it to include or not include, what balance you want of speed and compatibility, etc.
    For everyone who says we will always have DX's bootloader in our way: http://zimmer.csufresno.edu/~fringwal/stoopid.lis

Links