DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question about Roms, Themes, and extras...

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Quick question about Roms, Themes, and extras...

So I get that a ROM is like a new OS. You set your Droid to Mass storage, drop the zip file into the main folder, and then you can boot to recovery (after a backup obviously) and install the rom.

My question is, I always see a bunch of other things I can download for the ROM. Theme's, Fon'ts for the themes, etc.

How do I install them? Same process? Can I do it all in 1 swing? I have read ALOT of information before posting, and it's never REALLY clear to me what I should do after I install the Rom. Should I be putting the theme.zip file somewher, and the rom.zip file somewhere else? Can I put them together?

Advise is much appreciated,
    Bryan

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    After typing that out, I figured I would just 'eff around with it. I thing I figured it out. I want to use RomManager to wipe the cache and data, boot to the clockworkmod recovery, install the ROM.zip, then install the other .zips right after that, then reboot the phone. That should apply both the ROM, Theme, and anything else I wanted to install.

Maybe I will install the ROM.zip, then reboot, then boot back to Recovery, then install the theme, seperate. So I can make sure that the Rom installed correctly...

IDK, I'm so confused. :-/
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Not many people hacking in the AM...

I'm sittin here with a theme, and a rom, and I wanna go nuts. LoL.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    OG & TBolt yay!!
    Install the ROM, reboot, and test your phone for functionality, always do this so that you can make sure your ROM is working fine, after that you can pick your THEME and install it, same way you did with the ROM.

Some THEMES require to be install as a update.zip file, others can be install from sd card, that means that whatever you install as a update.zip must be renamed as "update.zip" for it to work properly and if its the other way you can leave it with the original file name, make sense?
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by alonsou View Post
    Install the ROM, reboot, and test your phone for functionality, always do this so that you can make sure your ROM is working fine, after that you can pick your THEME and install it, same way you did with the ROM.

Some THEMES require to be install as a update.zip file, others can be install from sd card, that means that whatever you install as a update.zip must be renamed as "update.zip" for it to work properly and if its the other way you can leave it with the original file name, make sense?
    Perfect. Thanks a mil for the help. I appreciate it!!

+ 1 rep.

How do you tell which theme's need to be installed as Update.zip?
    Last edited by Turbo_lag; 11-09-2010 at 07:26 AM.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Ok, I installed my theme, not much changed really, except for the lock screen. How do I add widgets, like the clock I see on EVERYONES phone, and other stuff like that? Do I have to download widgets from the Market?

I think I have determined that my widgets are controled by what home screen launcher I use. I currently use LP (Look at me using all the Droid Hack terms, LoL) but to get better apps should I switch to ADW, or Helix? (I think that's what there called)
    Last edited by Turbo_lag; 11-09-2010 at 07:48 AM.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    This thread is like my blog. Feel free to comment, and help where I may need it, but it's really just a thought process for me.

So the new apex ROM with Revo theme was crashing once every 5 minutes. I removed launcher pro, and the issue has since been resolved. No crashes in over 20 minutes. Still waiting to see everyones take on widgets.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    ****. I just froze up again. Damnit. Why can nothing work perfectly, the way I want it to.
  10. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Premium Member
    like alonsou, i always recommend installing rom, theme, add-ons separately, with separate reboots and boots into recovery. it has always worked for me, and just seems to ensure a cleaner install. here is the process i use (keep in mind i have a D1, but the principles are the same):

1. backup your apps with TiBu (or thru Astro)
    2. create a backup/nandroid of your current rom (so you have something to fall back on if you experience any serious problems flashing a new rom)
    3. boot into recovery
    4. wipe data/factory reset
    5. wipe cache
    6. install rom zip from sdcard
    7. reboot
    8. IMPORTANT - let market completely download all your apps, and let it complete the process before flashing any themes, kernels, whatever
    9. boot into recovery
    10. flash theme (if you desire something other than stock)
    11. reboot
    12. boot into recovery
    13. flash kernel/fonts/add-ons/etc
    14. reboot
    15. enjoy!

the widgets you see are generally not dependent on the launcher (altho some launchers, like LP, have their own widgets). rather, they are just apps you dl from the mkt. for example, the clock you are likely seeing in many screenies is from the Beautiful Widgets app (it's a paid app in the mkt). switching launchers isn't going to give you better apps. the different launchers just have different looks to them, and have some slightly different function options.
    lastly, i'm going to move your thread over to the DX Hacks section - you'll probably get a little more relevant traffic and responses to your particular inquiries.
    "Maybe you guys need a refresher course - it's all ballbearings nowadays!!" -- Fletch

"Goonga Galoonga...No - Goonga Lagoonga..." -- Carl, "Caddyshack"
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_lag View Post
    ****. I just froze up again. Damnit. Why can nothing work perfectly, the way I want it to.
    You have to do a little research on what themes work with what ROM's or you will have some issues. I wanted very little to change with my ROM so I picked rubiX .03 Blurry. And it goes with 928Droid's Black Glass Theme almost flawlessly. I like his theme cause he themes Facebook And Twitter. And he makes patches for Swype and ADW Launcher. So almost everything is themed. But his does not work with all ROM's. Some make ROM's with Themes that shortly follow after a release.

Themes and patches USUALLY install the same way as everything else. Some may ask to wipe data/cache, others might not. And most everything comes with their own instruction.

Do as the above posts suggest, do a little research and all should go well.

And nothing ever works perfect, lol
    Last edited by chkmate; 11-09-2010 at 10:58 AM.
    ---------> Follow me onTwitter@chkm4te20 <---------

<<<<<If you see the right move, take it!!!!>>>>>
    <<<<<
    DaRkSL!De v4.2//L!BeRty v1.5>>>>>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links