DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Washed my DX

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X & Xoom Wi-Fi

Washed my DX

Yes, I know, who does that? Well, I do apparently.

Long story short I was doing laundry and somehow threw my X in with it. I heard the clunk and instantly knew what it was so I grabbed it out, it was underwater for maybe 30 seconds. This was on Sunday and it's now Thursday and as you can imagine I now have a water damaged phone.

I was going to cut my losses and just get a new one but after it dried out it's attempting to turn back on (which gives me hope) but only shows the M logo and then goes to the Bootloader screen. It says Bootloader 30.03-Battery OK-Ok to program-Transfer Mode: USB. Phone had 2.1 when I bought it, I waited patiently and got 2.2 OTA, and then I rooted after the update. I am going to attempt to flash the sbf to see if it will get past bootloader but I don't know whether I should use the 2.1 version with RSD Lite or if I should try something else? I read in the "unbricking your droid x" forum that Motorola changed the bootloader so it bricks your phone if you try using RSD Lite with the OTA. So, try 2.1 w RSD or try a leaked 2.2? Another idea? Just trying to see if there's anything at all I might be able to do before I give up.

Like I said earlier, it goes to the Bootloader screen but then nothing else, I know water damaged = gone but it's tempting my curiosity to at least attempt to tinker with it at this point.

Thank you in advance for any responses or help!
    Droid Bionic

If at first you don't succeed...try, try, try again...and again...and again.

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Why don't you just file an insurance claim and pay the $90?
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X & Xoom Wi-Fi
    Because it's a challenge for me I guess. I just want to see if it "can" be fixed. Like I said in my OP, I know that it's done for the long run but I figure I'll learn something in the process if I can try to mess with it without the fear of bricking it. I was always scared to add a custom ROM after I rooted for fear of flashing this and doing that so this will give me practice so when the new one comes in maybe I'll be a little more bold.
    Droid Bionic

5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by jen7724 View Post

Long story short I was doing laundry and somehow threw my X in with it. I heard the clunk and instantly knew what it was so I grabbed it out, it was underwater for maybe 30 seconds. This was on Sunday and it's now Thursday and as you can imagine I now have a water damaged phone.

I was going to cut my losses and just get a new one but after it dried out it's attempting to turn back on (which gives me hope) but only shows the M logo and then goes to the Bootloader screen. It says Bootloader 30.03-Battery OK-Ok to program-Transfer Mode: USB. Phone had 2.1 when I bought it, I waited patiently and got 2.2 OTA, and then I rooted after the update. I am going to attempt to flash the sbf to see if it will get past bootloader but I don't know whether I should use the 2.1 version with RSD Lite or if I should try something else? I read in the "unbricking your droid x" forum that Motorola changed the bootloader so it bricks your phone if you try using RSD Lite with the OTA. So, try 2.1 w RSD or try a leaked 2.2? Another idea? Just trying to see if there's anything at all I might be able to do before I give up.

Like I said earlier, it goes to the Bootloader screen but then nothing else, I know water damaged = gone but it's tempting my curiosity to at least attempt to tinker with it at this point.

I thought Bootloader 30.03 was OTA 2.2. Luckily the full sbf 2.2 is out today, and you could grab that and flash that with rsdlite 4.8
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Daali View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jen7724 View Post

I thought Bootloader 30.03 was OTA 2.2. Luckily the full sbf 2.2 is out today, and you could grab that and flash that with rsdlite 4.8
    Yea use the 2.2 SBF, do not attempt to use the 2.1 SBF or your phone will be doomed. As far as I know, there is currently no way to fix your phone if you try to flash 2.1 over 2.2 because of the bootloader differences. If something has changed in the past couple of weeks please somebody correct me, I haven't been on these forums in a while.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X & Xoom Wi-Fi
    Thank you everybody! I plan on trying to fix it tomorrow, will let you know if anything happens.
    Droid Bionic

8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    My wife dropped her X in the tub 3 times before she was able to get it out. Had the same problems as you! I was able to get hers to work just fine.
    Pull the battery out get in your car turn the heat on high and hold the back of the phone to a vent for 10 min. Then turn the ac on fullblast to cool the phone back down for 10 min. Put the battery back in let the phone charge for two hours then turn phone on and hopefully you will be good to go.
    Do not attempt to turn the phone on until you have done everything above first. If this does not work for you then boot in recovery and do a factory reset. If you can get it to perform the reset then you are looking good. Give it some more time in the heat to dry out the remaining water cool again try booting again. Also make sure you hold the usb port/hdmi side of phone close to the vent as this is where the water has ability to cause issues. Good luck!
    Last edited by Ag3nt X; 10-16-2010 at 12:27 AM.
  9. cdexsw
    the BEST solution for water damaged devices:

1] get a cereal bowl or soup bowl or similar
    2] fill the bowl up with rice <---YES RICE!!!
    3] pull battery from phone
    4] submerge phone and battery into rice bowl

leave them in the bowl for at least 3 days. the rice absorbs about 98% of the moisture from water-logged electronics. hopefully after the 3rd day your device works properly.

i have used this method on mp3 players, misc electronics, phones and a laptop (long story needed more than a bowl).

if your device is still screwed.....thats what insurance is for.
    Last edited by cdexsw; 10-16-2010 at 05:02 AM.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Use Oat Meal! it absorbs moisture at a higher rate. I know that I have used both rice and Oat meal. Keep the 3 days for both.

Good luck!
    DROiD X, 2.3.3 Liquid 2.6 (CM7)

Best Rom's to Date: Liguid 2.6 & OMFGB 1.3.1

Believe in Open Source!
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    See my sig, silly!
    I thought when a phone gets wet in the washer, that the appropriate fix was to immediately throw it in the dryer!

Good luck with it. Sounds like if you're getting the boot loader screen you should be able to restore it.
    Droid Razr
    Custom Dialers for D1
    My broken glass icons: Broken Icons | Android Logo Icons (in progress): Android Icons

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links