Droid 2 Root for DX OTA 2.2...
It works. Follow these instructions:
DROID2 Rooting Method Works for DROIDX Running Froyo - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
EDIT: Here are all the ways that you can get yourself to a rooted 2.2, deodexed so you can theme, and build.props installed.
Download the Droid2Root from this link.
Place the Droid2Root in your C:\ hdd folder. Make sure you have the Android SDK installed, and debugging enabled on your DX. Also make sure your phone is in PC Mode when connected.
Follow these instructions
1. Open up cmd prompt
2. cd c:\Droid2Root
3. adb devices (to verify the connection)
4. cd c:\Droid2Root
5. adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
6. adb push su /sdcard/su
7. adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
8. adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
9. adb shell
10. cd data/local/tmp
11. chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
12. ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin 13. let the process run until it returns you to c:\Droid2Root (be patient, it may take a bit)
-I am adding this in here because I used to have a problem with this. Run adb start-server, and daemon tools should reboot. If you don't see anything, don't worry about it.
14. cd c:\Droid2Root
15. adb devices (to verify the connection)
16. adb shell (you should now have a # prompt)
17. mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
18. cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
19. cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
20. cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
21. chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
22. chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
23. mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
24. EDIT: instead of the 'exit' cmd, type 'reboot' instead. Just to make sure your phone boots with Superuser all fresh and installed.
(Credits for this go out to Droid Life and Sebastian Krahmer at xda-devs.)
AFTER YOU DO THIS, INSTALL KOUSH'S BOOTSTRAPPER. Make sure you can reboot into Clockwork.
ON TO DEODEXING. After Clockwork, boot into 2.2 again.
Download xUltimate version 2.2.2 from here.
1. Unzip and run Main.exe
2. Pull the files, so run options 1 and 2.
3. Run options 3 and 4, which will deodex your apps and framework. This WILL take awhile so make sure you have a beer and some chips ready. Maybe a tv show.
4. Those files will output to the xUltimate folder under done_app and done_frame.
5. Connect the phone into Mass Storage and copy those folders over to the sdcard root.
6. Now go back to PC Mode.
7. Time for some cmd prompt goodness with adb, so open up cmd prompt.
8. adb shell
9. mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
10. cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app
11. cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
12. rm /system/app/*.odex
13. rm /system/framework/*.odex
14. mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
(Partial/three-quarters credit out to WebSt3r at DroidxForums)
Phone will reboot, don't be afraid if it takes awhile to reboot. After that, feel free to install themes, and download Rom Manager for the latest OTA 2.2 build.props!
PS I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE IF YOU SCREW SOMETHING UP...I hope to god no one does. No .sbf yet. Once someone posts a deodexed .zip then none of this will be relevant! r00t!