Here is what I've done.
1. Rooted the DX. Been rooted for a month now. I know for a FACT I have su because I can access it in Terminal, I can drocap2, I can wifi tether, I can mount r/w in root explorer, you name it.
2. Installed Rom Manager Premium. Flashed CW recovery.
3. Installed Bootstrap and opened it up and ran the first option.
4. Reopened RM, went to the area where you download the stock 2.2 rooted leaked OTA.
5. Rebooted into recovery via RM.
6. Get an error saying that I must be rooted to install the update.
7. When it reboots, I lose root. To regain root, I have to restore the backup I made with root, because the one click root app doesn't work anymore.
8. As I sit, right now, I have root access again, CWR is flashed, Boot Strap is installed, etc. Just waiting for instruction.
I don't want to do this via ADB because I'm trying to help someone that I know from a car forum do this and they don't feel comfortable using ADB. So I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do this, which doesn't seem to be working all that well to be honest. This is more of a headache and now I'm wishing I didn't agree to help the person.
Suggestions are appreciated.