Disclaimer: The below method(s) can be dangerous to your device if done incorrectly. I recommend that only experienced rooters and/or members comfortable enough to use RSDLite attempt this. Neither I nor DroidForums.net shall be held responsible for bricked/damaged devices. Continue at your own risk.
Now, with that out of the way, let me explain what this guide will do. This is for users who want to know how to do the following on their Droid X;
- Root The Droid X
- Unbrick/Unroot w/SBF
- Install Froyo 2.2 w/Root
Per request of DF and Moto, I will not be posting links to the rooted Froyo 2.2 and/or SBF.
- RSDLite 4.7: GOOGLE
- Droid X SBF: GOOGLE
- Droid X 2.2 Root: GOOGLE
- Droid X Root Program: DOWNLOAD (Windows Users Only, includes USB device drivers)
- Droid X Bootstrap App: DOWNLOAD
Now that you have all the necessary files, let's get started!
Step A: Using RSDLite to reset/unbrick/unroot the Droid X.
- Install Windows 32-bit or 64-bit (Depending on your OS) Droid X USB Drivers.
- Install RSDLite 4.7
- Connect your phone to USB and turn it off. Turn your phone on and hold VOLUME DOWN and the CAMERA button.
- Run RSD Lite 4.7 as Administrator.
- Click the '...' next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file and double click the .sbf file.
- Hit start and below it should give you "Completion Progress" information.
- Once your phone is done being flashed (It may take a while so don't unplug it) it will reboot and you will be back at stock 2.1 no root.
Step B: Rooting The Droid X.
- Install the Droid X Root Program.
- Run the program as Administrator, while your Droid X is connected to USB.
- The program will Present itself with 2 buttons. ROOT ME and UNROOT ME. Obviously, you will select "ROOT ME".
- Follow the instructions the program gives you. If done correctly, you will have 2.1 rooted.
Step C: Installing A Rooted 2.2 Froyo ROM.
- Since you are rooted, you can now proceed with preparing for installing 2.2. You will need to go to the market and download "Astro File Manager".
- Connect your USB on your DX and set to "USB MASS STORAGE". Once done, copy the "Bootstrapper.apk" to a directory on your SD card.
- While you still have the USB mounted, copy the rooted 2.2 Froyo ROM to the SD card's root. And make sure it's named "update.zip". Then unmount the USB connection.
- Go to settings > applications and make sure "UNKNOWN SOURCES" is checked.
- Open Astro File manager and locate the Bootstrapper.apk. Open and install the app.
- Once installed, it should be in your App menu. Open the app and select "Bootstrap Recovery". Then select "Reboot Recovery".
- While in recovery, navigate to install zip from sdcard. Install update.zip.
- Once completed, you should now have Froyo 2.2 with root.