DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With Froyo on the way, is now the time to root?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    S4

With Froyo on the way, is now the time to root?

First off, sorry, I have to assume this has been asked already, but I as many others out there, are completely new to the Droid world, and even more so to rooting.

With 2.2 due out next month, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you want to update to the official OTA 2.2 release, you'd have to unroot to get this update; thus rendering the root useless right? If so and I'm not misinterpreting this, do we then need to wait for the ability to root on 2.2, or will it be the same process over again, ie. can one go through the same root process on 2.2 that one did on 2.1?

Side note, going to 2.2 ... do all apps/settings/etc. remain preserved? Same question goes for rooting ... I guess I'm just wondering If I need to look into any backup software or anything.

Thanks in advance and again sorry If I'm re-posting something that everyone else has been asking.

3. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    the OTA will proceed as long as you have all stock apps there. you then will lose root

and the update is just installed over current OS. so yes all apps/settings will still be there
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    S4
    Thanks Abe. So once we get 2.2 OTA, will we still be able to use these one click root programs, or does the root process need to be re-developed?

Thanks again
  5. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X2 ROOTED
    Hey welcome to the forums the search button is your friend but ill answer this one for you.You can be rooted it is completley fine the ota will unroot your phone for you the only way your phone will not get the ota is if you start deleteing the bloatware on the phone but there are ways for you to to get it back on the phone that i will leavefor you to do a search for then there is themeing thephone that is fun also remember search button equals good times!!!
  7. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    If you are here to be disrespectful or cause trouble, keep in mind, it won't be tolerated
    Last edited by hookbill; 08-23-2010 at 02:24 PM.

8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    now two bosshogs? Just let abean ask his question without being nagged, and leave me alone as well.

tparker, I just got here. Me and you are equals here, get over it.

A crow is another type of troll that attacks under the guise of being proper. Think a middle aged women that gets her way, or chills others by saying things like "think of the children" making any refute as comming off as assaulting children. Are you going to tell me chops was 'only trying to help' abean? If so, you're a vetran crow too: abean, did you not know there a search box?

The chances of being on this board and not knowing about the search engine is basically nil, but you have chops, one of the new internet archtypes, acting like an ambassador, and authrority, and a 'nice guy' all at once. He's a crow.

If abean wants to use the search, he can. If he merely decides to ask instead of search, he can. Not only that, he's asking with timing that would help others. Short lived threads drop out of site quickly.

wannabe vetrans: please don't berate and patrol the noobs.
    Last edited by iojk9999; 08-20-2010 at 03:41 PM.
  9. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iojk9999 View Post
    Nobody said we are not equal...I know we are, and our level of respect should be to, I am just letting you know (since you just got here) that telling people to "stfu" is not respectful and disrespect is not welcome here, on any level, from me or from you

10. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iojk9999 View Post
    now two bosshogs? Just let abean ask his question without being nagged, and leave me alone as well.

A crow is another type of troll that attacks under the guise of being proper. Think a middle aged women that gets her way, or chills others by saying things like "think of the children" making any refute as comming off as assaulting children. Are you going to tell me chops was 'only trying to help' abean? If so, you're a vetran crow too: abean, did you not know there a search box?

The chances of being on this board and not knowing about the search engine is basically nil, but you have chops, one of the new internet archtypes, acting like an ambassador, and authrority, and a 'nice guy' all at once. He's a crow.

If abean wants to use the search, he can. If he merely decides to ask instead of search, he can. Not only that, he's asking with timing that would help others. Short lived threads drop out of site quickly.

wannabe vetrans: please don't berate and patrol the noobs.
    there is no need to act like that. tparker was right - saying stfu is disrespectful. chops was also trying to help, and mentioning the search is not doing anything wrong. We both answered his questions and u come in and troll the thread.

not taking sides but lets see: I answered his question. so did chops. tparker has done his fair share of offering support in many other threads. u have 8 posts and 2 are trolling.

I can tolerate noobs. thats what im here for: to help out. I dont need to tolerate trolls.

thank you for adding your two cents but you have contributed nothing to this thread.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    So just let me get this straight. I should just wait to root and remove bloatware till after the android froyo 2.2 update in September?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links