DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: another reminder to myself why I shouldn't get into custom ROMs: can't reboot

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by brad92 View Post
    On Gingerbread, its not the search button. You have to press the 2 volume buttons. He said the volume buttons didn't work getting into recovery, so the only thing left to do would be sbf.

random rom'd X

..sorry for the confusion...

I'm currently running the latest MIUI on my DX; it is based on Android Gingerbread (v2.3.5)... I still have to use the search key to access the recovery menu once the triangle appears.

Also... +1 to the linux method; it is much easier!
    Last edited by travisn000; 08-31-2011 at 03:54 PM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Brad,

I am running Windows 7 professional 32-bit. I will try the second site.

sorry, but the linux may not work for me. I don't have the capability of burning a CD nor do I have a thumb drive.

Now I really am sunk it looks like.

Thanks,

Jim
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Trionalaw View Post
    Brad,

sorry, but the linux may not work for me. I don't have the capability of burning a CD nor do I have a thumb drive.

Thanks,

Jim

...you should be able to use unetbootin to run the linux disk image directly from your hard drive, just set it up as a "frugal install":

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
  4. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    Brad,

Thanks,

Jim
    You may have to run RSD Lite as Administrator. Or use the Linux method above instead of burning the iso to a disc.

random rom'd X
    -Brad
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    okay gentlemen, how about this?

I decided to go back to RDS light version 4.8. It offered a different SDF file. Everything worked great until it got to the point where it told me to manually power up the phone. Unfortunately, it is in the Liberty reboot mode. It has the fist in the yellow circle. it is frozen there.

Now what?

Thanks so much. Sorry to be such a problem.

Jim
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    You need to go into stock recovery and wipe data. Use the method I posted before, but when you get to the Android with the triangle, press the search button if you used the Froyo sbf file. Wipe data and cache, then reboot.

random rom'd X
    -Brad
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Brad92,

I tried the Linux method but it would not boot from the USB. Got a screen and it said it would automatically boot in so many seconds. Any chance tomorrow I could call you and you could walk me through the making the USB bootable? I am at wits end and am going to bed before I shave my other eyebrow off. As a sacrifice to the gods before I got the RSD to work I shaved my Andy Rooney like eyebrow in two. Then when I couldn't get it to power up manually I cut one off.

Thanks,

Jim
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    Brad92,

I tried the Linux method but it would not boot from the USB. Got a screen and it said it would automatically boot in so many seconds. Any chance tomorrow I could call you and you could walk me through the making the USB bootable? I am at wits end and am going to bed before I shave my other eyebrow off. As a sacrifice to the gods before I got the RSD to work I shaved my Andy Rooney like eyebrow in two. Then when I couldn't get it to power up manually I cut one off.

Thanks,

Jim
    Im sorry, but the eyebrow thing made me laugh like crazy.

I haven't done the Linux boot from the hard drive before, I have only done it from a CD. If you can burn the iso to a disc somehow, either from a family member's computer or somebody else's, or even use RSD Lite on a non Windows 7 computer, that would be your best option. I am sorry you are having this kind of trouble. I have used RSD Lite and the sbf CD on 2 different computers with success, but both of them were Windows Vista.

I will PM you my number, but I have class from 7 am to 11, then from 1-3 tomorrow. If you could call after those times or text me your number, I can give you a call and try and help out any way I can. Or depending on if we can't get it to work for you at all, I can mail you a copy of the Linux sbf disc.

random rom'd X
    -Brad
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Brad,

The gods must have reconsidered. While making coffee this morning, I tried the two fingers on the volume keys and power. I got to the triangle. I then followed your advice regarding the search button and as of now I am back to stock. At first it said the wipe data wouldn't work but then I tried cache. It worked so I went back to data.

I can't thank you enough for your help. I am of course happy about the Droid X and am resisting the urge to root again for now. However, I do have another dilemma: getting stares. I assume for the one eyebrow thing. I am close to letting it go and doing a Ziggy Stardust look---probably well before your time.

Again, much appreciated.

Jim
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Twitter
    @listen2theman92
    Phone
    Rooted DROID RAZR
    Brad,

The gods must have reconsidered. While making coffee this morning, I tried the two fingers on the volume keys and power. I got to the triangle. I then followed your advice regarding the search button and as of now I am back to stock. At first it said the wipe data wouldn't work but then I tried cache. It worked so I went back to data.

I can't thank you enough for your help. I am of course happy about the Droid X and am resisting the urge to root again for now. However, I do have another dilemma: getting stares. I assume for the one eyebrow thing. I am close to letting it go and doing a Ziggy Stardust look---probably well before your time.

Again, much appreciated.

Jim
    Awesome! I'm really glad you got it figured out. If you're like me though, once you experience a rooted phone, you can never go back.

Ziggy Stardust must have been before my time but I can't help remember the kid in my middle school who shaved his eyebrows off.

random rom'd X
    -Brad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links