DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Root Droid X and install free Wifi Hotspot

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    verizon dx

Question How to Root Droid X and install free Wifi Hotspot

I am getting a new Verizon DX on Friday. I am a complete virgin when it comes to programming/hacking. I've reviewed many forums and found many tools and I can follow simple instructions but there is so much my head is spinning. So this is what I want to do, put simply.

1) Root the droid
    2) Back it up
    3) Install a free hotspot program to back up my cable which my landlord is frequently messing up and to avoid the mb limitations of verizon.
    4) Freeze unwanted background bloatware that will eat my battery and processing speed.

That's pretty much it. I probably wouldn't bother if I didn't want the hotspot for some possible future when I can stream my Netflix, etc to my monitor. How shall I proceed? Only other question is should I do this before or after activating the phone with VZ?

Thanks folks!
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @ShawnL19
    Phone
    Droid X
    1)To root...DL Z4Root from here: AndroidSPIN Z4 root brings one-click root to multiple devices

Then watch this video:

2) To back up, DL Bootstrapper(for the X!) from the market, then follow this video:

3) To get a hotspot just DL "Wireless Teather" from the market...
    4) To get rid of bloat...read this Removing the Bloat 2.2 OTA - (3 Ways) Super Easy & Safe, Safe & Easy, Free

MOST IMPORTANT....If you think something is taking to long, or isn't working, DON'T PANIC!! Come back HERE and ASK FOR HELP! Don't do anything crazy like wiping stuff, and pushing random buttons, or yanking the batt out!

Good luck!

Edit: Video didn't embed...so I just posted a link.
    Edit 2: These videos are by "XDroidRom" I don't recall what his name is on the forums....Sorry!
    Last edited by Thunder_sl; 02-24-2011 at 06:09 PM.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    verizon dx

Thanks, Thunder

I'll check this all out tomorrow. BTW, my cat's name is Thunder. : )
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    verizon dx
    Grrrrrrrr! You Tube won't let me view til I sign up for a google account. Why should I if I already have an established you Tube Account? I hate corporations!
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    verizon dx
    This doesn't seem right. You tube works fine elsewhere but these links go directly to google sign-up for you tube. What is this?
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Unable to start OG tethering, please try again

just install open garden and get this "Unable to start OG tethering, please try again" any ideas?
    droid x, rooted
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @ShawnL19
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by natchrl8r View Post
    This doesn't seem right. You tube works fine elsewhere but these links go directly to google sign-up for you tube. What is this?

Not sure why it's not working for U... Try YouTube - XDroidROM's Channel or just search for XDroidROM...
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    @ShawnL19
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by black68gtx View Post
    just install open garden and get this "Unable to start OG tethering, please try again" any ideas?
    droid x, rooted

It states "This application requires a "rooted"-device and a custom-kernel which supports netfilter (iptables)!"

I don't think this is usable for the X. It uses Ad-Hoc connection anyway. "Wireless Tether" is a actual hotspot, not a Ad-Hoc. (On the X anyway )
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    @Body_Bagz
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Ok...really, there is no need to watch a video to learn how to root your phone and use a wireless tether app...

Ready..strap in, here we go...

1) Download "z4root"...I am sure you already have did this, as well as installed it...and maybe even already clicked the "Permanent Root" button. If not...do so now.

2) Once you download, install and Click the Perm Root button, be prepared to wait anywhere from 3-5 minutes for the rooting process to complete. If it does not complete and reboot your phone after 5-7 minutes, pop the back battery cover off and pull the battery out to shut the phone down. Then reboot the phone and again fire up z4root and click the Perm Root button...some DX`s are a bit flaky and need to go through this process a couple of times.

3) If the root process is completed properly, your phone should shutdown and reboot on its own. If it does, once its loaded back, open the App Drawer and see if there is a new APP Icon labeled "SuperUser"...should be a Pirate Skull Image..if its there, you are more than likely "rooted" now. But we can test this for sure in just a minute....

4) Go to the Market. Download Wireless Tether for Root Users. Install it.

5) Once installed, try to run the app...it should pop -up a box requesting Super user Access if you are in fact now rooted. If it doesnt, you will need to run z4root again and then re-try the tether app. If it does work...you are done other than setting up a password or changing the SSID on the Android tether if you chose too...

Too simple really...and again, no need to watch multiple videos of someone else doing it...

Bagz Droid Razr, Most Nearly Bone Stock
    ...Rooted...ROM`d too many times to list...and still kicking iPhones in the @$$ on a daily basis....

10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    verizon dx
    Do I download z4root directly to the phone or to my windows pc? Should I upgrade to froyo 2.2 first?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links