DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to backup my nand if I only root it?

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by poontab View Post
    Did you mean why just root? I ran stock but rooted for a couple of months & there are big performance gains to be had just from getting SU.

OP, backup every time you make a significant change. I can't recall how many times I thought I could get away with a simple metamorph change only to be greeted by a bootloop with no current backup.
    No, I meant why root...?

He states above he rooted for wifi tethering, now I know and it makes sense.

You on the other hand, do not make sense And I don't mean to be rude, really.

But you will not get better performance on a device by JUST rooting. This isn't something that

varies from device to device like battery performance. It does NOT give you better performance from you

having root access to system files. Some kind of tweeking needs to take place for improvement to phone.

ROM's, Overclocking and getting rid of bloatware to name a few.
    ---------> Follow me onTwitter@chkm4te20 <---------

<<<<<If you see the right move, take it!!!!>>>>>
    <<<<<
    DaRkSL!De v4.2//L!BeRty v1.5>>>>>
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Be rude I don't care but I'm not retarded. I didn't imagine the stock launcher swiping between screens without stutter or that quadrant number being 2x the unrooted total.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X Custom Setup
    why are all these mods stating that backup isn't essential or necessary? it would make our life so much easier if it was just generally stated they are...I don't get it
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    stock rezound mavrom d3
    I followed everyone's advice and backed up the info I've.screwed up a time or two
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    What is the best backup app to run in order to back up your phone after root? or is there a better way to back up the phone after root rather than using an app?
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by arabstar1982 View Post
    What is the best backup app to run in order to back up your phone after root? or is there a better way to back up the phone after root rather than using an app?
    IMO DroidXBootstrapper is the best way to back up your X. Just install, then choose bootstrap recovery...click OK, then reboot recovery. The phone will restart and give you a green menu list. use the volume up/down keys to choose backup/restore then choose backup. You select the menu items using the camera button (full press).

It will backup your entire phone which then gives you the safety of being able to play with roms, knowing you have a way to get the phone back to an operating state if something goes wrong.

My advice is, when you create backups, rename the file to something that will remind you of what that backup is. *remember there can be NO spaces in names...you'll get an MD5 checksum error if there is spaces*
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I for one just want to root so I can us Orbot and to remove some bloatware

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I'd still make a back-up just in case...and when you remove bloatware, don't actually remove it, just re-name it...this way, when you need to do an OTA update (over the air), you can just rename the bloatware back to the original and then the update will work correctly. A more easy solution is the get Titanium Backup Pro and FREEZE the bloatware. Then you can unfreeze it for updates.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by poontab View Post
    Be rude I don't care but I'm not retarded. I didn't imagine the stock launcher swiping between screens without stutter or that quadrant number being 2x the unrooted total.
    Quadrant isnt accurate and often fluctuates tons on the same phone with the same exact settings. Getting root doesn't actually do anything to alter the way your phone runs, it just gives you more access to things. Sometimes my phone runs super fast, other times it lags a bit. Any sort of performance increase you saw by just rooting and doing nothing else were not caused by the rooting. Thats just fact, but I don't think anyone was rude here
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by RKramden View Post
    IMO DroidXBootstrapper is the best way to back up your X. Just install, then choose bootstrap recovery...click OK, then reboot recovery. The phone will restart and give you a green menu list. use the volume up/down keys to choose backup/restore then choose backup. You select the menu items using the camera button (full press).
    Thanks a lot, your post was very helpful!!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links