DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: So, Did This Work For You?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, You Tha Man!

24 92.31%
  • No, I Gotta Keep On Looking..

2 7.69%
  • I Was At Least Able To Un-Root!

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-Root Your Droid X After Update

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Thumbs up

Got the phone Monday night right before the store closed, charged it going down the road driving, Took the 2.3.340 update Tuesday & today took 10mins to ROOT the phone & have never done this before.

Great tool & thanks from a rookie rooter
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Devlin85 View Post
    I didn't ask if you now have super user. I asked if when you Un-Root does it successfully remove superuser from your apps. If that isn't happening then of course it won't work. Even if it says it's successful..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
    So are you saying that if we use z4root and superuser is still there, we should delete superuser? or that z4root has simply failed and there's nothing we can do?

I haven't gotten this method to work any way I try it - updating before unrooting, updating after unrooting, anything. Since I used DoRootForWindows as the original root, is that why z4root won't work? Also, no, the phone never rebooted at all during the unroot/reroot process with z4root. Only by going back to DoRootForWin was I able to sucessfully re-root.

z4root did seem to partially unroot, as my wireless tether stopped working. But no reboot, update fail.
    Last edited by dnynumba1; 12-22-2010 at 04:00 PM.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    The superuser ninja icon is still there..... Ugh..
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    ...BUT, hey.. I still rooted it. Back up and running! Thanks!
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid x 2.2

I Need Help

devlin i tried the z4root 1.3.0 method as you described, it just seems to run forever. what am i doing wrong?
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    the good news is i seem to have gotten myself banlisted from receiving updates...

seriously, i've tried so many ways to fix this, and now when i try to receive the update it just "checks" and immediately stops checking
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    @Body_Bagz
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1027 View Post
    devlin i tried the z4root 1.3.0 method as you described, it just seems to run forever. what am i doing wrong?
    When it "hangs" like that, pop the battery cover off and do a battery pull. Install the battery back in, the cover, then reboot the phone. Once everything is running, load z4root app again and select permanent Root...should work then.

Bagz Droid Razr, Most Nearly Bone Stock
    ...Rooted...ROM`d too many times to list...and still kicking iPhones in the @$$ on a daily basis....

8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by dano1027 View Post
    I had a similar issue when i was rooting my phone.. it was 20 minutes in and all i did was hit home, opened up a task manager and killed all apps.. most task managers cant kill core/system processes so it wont affect z4root because it has higher rights than the task manager.. Immediately after I exited the task manager z4root popped back up and said completed. So something might just be holding it up.. Give that a try if you're still having that issue.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Thank you for the post.... worked perfectly on my DX...
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by dnynumba1 View Post

So are you saying that if we use z4root and superuser is still there, we should delete superuser? or that z4root has simply failed and there's nothing we can do?

I haven't gotten this method to work any way I try it - updating before unrooting, updating after unrooting, anything. Since I used DoRootForWindows as the original root, is that why z4root won't work? Also, no, the phone never rebooted at all during the unroot/reroot process with z4root. Only by going back to DoRootForWin was I able to sucessfully re-root.

z4root did seem to partially unroot, as my wireless tether stopped working. But no reboot, update fail.
    What you need to do is get the phone un-rooted and superuser removed from your system before trying to Root it again. All of these one click / easy methods will hang at one stage or another, usually while running rageagainstthecage or sometimes when pushing busybox but it generally has to do with the fact that superuser is already installed and it just doesn't know how to handle that occurrence.. So If you unroot and you still have superuser try to go in and just uninstall it, if uninstall isn't available download a program manager that can force uninstall, I have has good results with "AppMonster" It is available for free on the market. And if that doesnt do the trick for you there are antivirus programs like "AVG Antivirus Free" by DroidSecurity and they don't like superuser being installed and will give you the option to remove it. (That's why I use Lookout Instead, it doesn't care if you root your phone or not.. Hope that helps your situation.
    Last edited by Devlin85; 12-22-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links