So I got my Droid X a few months ago (Aug '10), thinking there would be a world of functionality waiting to open up to me by getting away from Apple and my 3G iPhone. Instead, I find myself considering a switchback because my DX annoys me more than my locked down iPhone ever did.
The following is a rant about all the things that have annoyed me about my Droid X. Some are not direct Android or DX problems, but all are something that makes me want to switch back. I will try to update if anything gets fixed (software updates, new solutions), but until then...
1) Bloatware - I hate it. I understand that all I have to do is root the phone and delete a few things. But I am a busy person and dont have the time to keep up with new ROMs and pulling crap off my phone because the big guys make an extra buck by putting it there. Is my $150/mo not enough? Good lord.
2) Contacts pictures will not update - WTF? I use FB and all I want is for my contacts pictures to A) update with FB or B) keep the picture I give them if I update it manually. Give me a contact specific setting somewhere to select the photos. Instead a couple friends have some dumbass pic that happened to be up the day I synced my FB contacts, and I cant change them without unlinking and relinking their accounts, or using my own pic for everybody. Stupid.
3) FB for Droid Sucks - I realize this is not a Droid X issue, nor something google/Moto/Verizon have any control over. But seriously. The iPhone app was great (and getting better with every update). All I get with the Droid is more frustration about what it doesnt do (or does wrong) (pictures post sideways, no tags from my phone, notifications link to web pages instead of staying in app, etc). Seems FB spent all its time/money on that stupid movie instead of updating my DX.
4) Multi-touch - The stock browser will let me shrink webpages, but not the photos on them. Where is my touch-zoom when viewing gmail? Iphone never had a problem rendering web pages. When I double tap to zoom, I want the entire page to resize, and the column to snap to my screen size. Both landscape and portrait. No scrolling sideways to read the last two words in every sentence.
5) Gmail - I hate that my emails will only shrink as far as to default me having to hold the phone landscape. Then when I hold it sideways, the notifications bar plus email sender contact bar at the top of the screen and delete/archive/next buttons at the bottom take up more than half the screen. How am I supposed to read the email if I cant see it? Give me options!! resize the buttons! reduce the sender info tag. Anything....
6) Gmail more - Show Pictures. I understand this is security-minded. But I only alllow emails if I trust my contacts, so now I want an option to show pictures by default.
7) lack of dedicated Music Support program - I have a rather large collection I cannot keep all on my phone. I thought Itunes sucked, but am now realizing no one provides better auto-syncing functionality (double twist, winamp). I mean geez how simple is it to copy the exe, add some skins/functionality and call it DroidTunes? I still use my IPhone as a touch Mp3 player because of:
8) Smart playlists - My ITunes playlists update based on what I listened to last and have not listened to lately. or I can sync songs only 2 stars or better. All I do is connect to my computer and *ding* automatic update. No buttons, dragging and dropping, or file selecting involved.
and 9) podcast support - Itunes syncs my podcsasts to/from my computer and allows me to rate them and keep them on my computer for a re-listen If I liked it, which I can sync by using my (#8) smart playlists.
and 10) 2x Podcasts - My Iphone also allows me to listen to podcasts in 2x (double Speed). All the news of the day with only half the waste of my life. Simple genius that google and the Android app makers do not seem to possess. I mean I used to have a tape recorder (back in the early 90s) that let me playback in double speed. Why not my Android phone?
If anyone reading this knows a fix or setting or app that I missed somewhere, I am sure to be greatful to have one less annoyance in my life by you pointing me at a solution.
Remember Google/ Motorola/ Verizon, with great power comes great responsibility. Make me happy.