DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Contacts Backup

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X

Contacts Backup

Hi Guys,

This might seem to be a dumb question but please bear with me.

I am planning to do a factory reset on my phone and was worried about the contacts more than anything else. How to manage to get it back after the hard reset is done since I'm going to lose it everything. I do see all the contacts backed up on my verizon website and was wondering if those contacts would be deleted as well while doing a factory reset. Could you please tell me how to proceed with it? Thanks.
  2. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Being a Google Device your contacts are backed up to your gmail contact list, before you do a factory reset sync with google one last time, you can even sign into your gmail account on a computer to be sure they are there

3. cdexsw
    your contacts should be automatically saved into your google account that you signed in with when you first setup the device.

a reset will erase everything on the device but will not touch your sdcard. you will need to sign back into your google account and setup your device up again.

which ever apps you downloaded whether free or paid should re-download on the market place. go to market and my downloads to check.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Thanks. I just went to my gmail contacts and don't see a list of the android ones with phone #s over there. Am i missing something here? :s
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Ok, I got it now. All the contacts in "my contacts" have the phone # associated with them. So, it should work out.

But my other concern is, when I a reset, would that delete the contacts from my gmail account as the phone is synced with the gmail account? I am not sure how it would work.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTO Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by jkm2282 View Post
    Ok, I got it now. All the contacts in "my contacts" have the phone # associated with them. So, it should work out.

But my other concern is, when I a reset, would that delete the contacts from my gmail account as the phone is synced with the gmail account? I am not sure how it would work.
    No ... it should not. As soon as you reactivate your Google account after the reset, the phone will sync with the web site.

That said, and to be on the safe side, first go to your gmail account with your PC, select "Contacts" and "More Actions/Export" and make a backup file of your choice of your Contacts.

It never hurts to have a fallback plan to a fallback plan.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlac View Post

No ... it should not. As soon as you reactivate your Google account after the reset, the phone will sync with the web site.

That said, and to be on the safe side, first go to your gmail account with your PC, select "Contacts" and "More Actions/Export" and make a backup file of your choice of your Contacts.

It never hurts to have a fallback plan to a fallback plan.
    Yeah, that seems to be a smart thing to do. After that back up file is made, how do i load it on the phone? Sorry if I'm asking daft questions, I've never done all this before.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MOTO Droid X
    Yeah, that seems to be a smart thing to do. After that back up file is made, how do i load it on the phone? Sorry if I'm asking daft questions, I've never done all this before.
    Just save the export file on your PC for safe keeping.

You don't need to try to load it on the phone. The phone will take care of that issue after the reset when you re-activate your Google account. it will do it automagically by syncing with the gmail _website_.

It is just a backup of your Contacts from Gmail website for peace of mind in the EXTREMELY unlikely event your contacts get hosed in the process. If that should happen, you would use that "export" file, on the gmail website, to "import" your contacts back into the Contact list on the website.

Don't worry about this happening, because it is extremely unlikely. Once again, better safe than sorry.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlac View Post
    Just save the export file on your PC for safe keeping.

You don't need to try to load it on the phone. The phone will take care of that issue after the reset when you re-activate your Google account. it will do it automagically by syncing with the gmail _website_.

It is just a backup of your Contacts from Gmail website for peace of mind in the EXTREMELY unlikely event your contacts get hosed in the process. If that should happen, you would use that "export" file, on the gmail website, to "import" your contacts back into the Contact list on the website.

Don't worry about this happening, because it is extremely unlikely. Once again, better safe than sorry.
    Got it now. Thanks a lot man!
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus / Droid X
    Backup Assistant?

Links