DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: question about battery draining...

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

question about battery draining...

i've had my phone for a little over a month now and it has been wonderful....

up until last wednesday.

for the most part i use my phone for internet and texting. very rarely do i make phone calls, but i do spend a lot of time on the web. on average i got about a day to a day and a half out of my battery before it needed recharging.

now, all of a sudden, my battery won't last 5 hours. no idea what happened. it was working fine, i went to sleep wednesday night, and woke up with it full charged and by the time i got to work (30 minutes away) it was down to about 80%.

i haven't changed anything, haven't downloaded any new apps or anything, wifi/gps/bluetooth are all off, but it wont hold power anymore. the only thing i did different was wednesday night some friend did some drunken karaoke and i took a bunch of video. the battery last fine all through the video and the uploading to my computer, but the next morning it wouldn't hold.

i took it to verizon on friday, they said it could be a bad battery (which would be weird since i've had it over a month) and they gave me a new battery. i put in the new battery and charged it to full and its doing the same thing.

and im not even doing anything with the phone. to test out its crappiness today i left it on my desk at work in lock mode. this is how it went:

8:45 - unplugged from charger at 100%
    11:00 - 70%
    12:30 - 40%
    2:00 - 15%
    2:15 - dead

the biggest use of power was "cell standby" with about 56% usage, the screen in second at 45% and then cell idle at about 3%

i've done some searching but a lot of it is over my head (new to the whole smart phone thing) and can't really make much out of it. i have read a few tricks that will extend battery life, but those require changes i don't want to do (such as having to manually refresh emails and everything), that wouldn't be such a big deal except for the fact that the first month i've had the phone they all automatically refreshed and my battery still lasted 24+ hours.

i've seen a few posts mentioning the cell standby issue but every thread i've read about that never really had a resolution.

anyone know what the issue is here?

thanks in advance.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Just because it's only a month old does not mean the battery isn't bad as in defective. It happens. Sometimes, the bad eggs get into a dozen.

Since the VZW rep at the store mentioned it possibly being a bad battery, did you tell them to order you a new one?

On a side note, I got the extended battery on Friday. Charged it overnight and unplugged it Saturday morning.. it's been going with pretty decent use (lots of data use, GPS, etc. all on) for 1d 10h 15m so far.

Might be worth a look for you if you can grab one.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    yeah, they gave me a brand new battery friday evening. it still does the same thing.

is the extended battery larger than the regular battery? would i still be able to use it with my case?
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Twitter
    @titans_df
    Phone
    Incredible
    Premium Member
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    maybe you should try an APP like Advanced Task Killer to make sure that all of your programs are being shut down when you are done with them.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    razr maxx
    "the biggest use of power was "cell standby" with about 56% usage"

This looks like a problem
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Had a friend who had same problem, called tech at verizon and he told him to pull battery while turned on and wait 1 min and put it back in, fixed his problem. Something about the phone creating a memory for the battery.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    razr maxx
    Did you ever do the *228 option 2 ?
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by pcnut View Post
    Had a friend who had same problem, called tech at verizon and he told him to pull battery while turned on and wait 1 min and put it back in, fixed his problem. Something about the phone creating a memory for the battery.
    The battery itself is a smart battery. There is a way to reset the chip inside, but everyone here seems to hate me posting the link to the information for some reason. =P

@OP:
    The extended batter is slightly thicker (it even comes with a new battery cover), but I am using it fine inside my hard case... the one that Verizon sells.

Oh, yeah, in my original reply... I forgot to mention that the phone just hit 50% charge around an hour ago. This is vastly improved over my stock battery, which would have died by now.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid RAZR HD
    Because of what your battery usage showed, I'd suspect you are in a low signal area and your X is using up the battery searching for a good signal.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links