DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What're your first impressions of the Official Froyo Update?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hate it

5 2.72%
  • Unhappy but could be worse

16 8.70%
  • It's Ok/Not sure yet

45 24.46%
  • Content but it could be better

50 27.17%
  • Love it!

70 38.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Froyo Update - First Impressions

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadJ55 View Post
    I'm still finding myself on the fence as we enter day 3. Yesterday my battery life was PHENOMENAL. It also just so happened that my extended battery arrived ysterday, which I charged last night and am using today. I'll be curious to see how far I can make this thing go. After yesterday though, the extended battery seems entirely unnecessary.

The two things that are really frustrating me right now though are the fact that they STILL have not fixed the exchange email problems with synching and notification.

The other issue, which I have not seen anyone post yet (that I recall) is how much slower the phone reacts to changes from landscape to portrait. Even when I am on a call and take the phone away from my ear to hang up or press a key, it sits there a bit longer befiore the screen comes on. It's like they did something to slow down the reaction of the accelerometer. Maybe it's just me... but I don't think so.
    You're not the only one who's noticed the lag time in switching from landscape to portrait (or vice versa). It takes a full three seconds to think about it before making the switch, and then the apps and widgets take another second or two to fully appear. Overall, I'm finding the transitions between homescreens to be jumpy where they used to be very smooth (running LauncherPro Plus). I used to be able to swipe very lightly to get to another screen, but now I'm having to apply more pressure, and for longer. Sometimes I'll swipe and nothing happens. It's annoying.

So, like you, I'm still on the fence. If my battery life has improved, it's negligible. I had the phone off the charger on my way to the office on Thursday (an hour drive), with music playing the entire time and GPS turned on, and was at 80% when I got to work. Not horrid, but not great, either. By lunch time, though, without music playing, battery was at 50%. Right now, I'm at 80% less than 45 minutes after unplugging from a full charge; I've sent/received a few texts, checked e-mail, and have GPS, WiFi, and several widgets (Facebook, NY Times, WeatherBug, ESPN ScoreCenter) running, but nothing that should've chewed up 20% battery life in under an hour. I was hoping for better results.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Verizon droid razr maxx
    Yeah the screen lock gets annoying.. it needs a longer swipe to unlock. I kept my root though.. I use adfree and barnacle still. Phone is alot faster.. battery life has increased. Phone has had yellow/orange bars since yesturday... 2 in the afternoon. I guess all dc are not created equal. I got mine launch day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Couple of observations...

On the whole, I am quite satisfied with the improvements that came along with 2.2. Battery life has improved for me as well and the GPS-no-sleep bug is gone. I now leave GPS on the all the time and check my sleep status using Spare Parts to confirm it does sleep. Sure enough, this it isn't an issue anymore.

Minor complaint:
    -When I take a picture and then click on the thumbnail in the corner of the camera screen to view it, the picture is simply black. I have to get out of the gallery entirely and back into it to view the picture. This happens maybe 1 out of 4 times. My dad has the Droid 2 (tiny screen I tell him) and he experiences this as well. I guess it's a Froyo thing instead of just a Droid 2 thing. It is infrequent and easy to correct so it isn't a big deal.

Many, not all, but many, of the complaints in this thread about laggy phones are followed with "after using my task killer". The Android gurus on this forum go in depth about why to steer clear of task killers and how they can negatively affect performance and battery life. As a rookie, I won't try to convince anyone to give them up, but more knowledgeable people than I certainly will.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    In almost every post I read, the word "Blur" is preceded by the words "Man, I sure do hate..." or "Boy, I can't stand..." Do all the Blur haters (everyone in the world except me??) still see all of the things they hate about Blur in this update?

After doing some reading in this forum I learned that Blur allowed to us "pull" the update unlike the D1 crowd who waited for a "push". I also enjoy my little Facebook widget showing status updates from the select few people I follow. For the record, I am a virtual non-Facebook(er) so this is "kind of a big deal" <voice of Ron Burgundy>. Blur is "ok" in my book.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    One very minor installation problem with 2.2 which was resolved merely by powering the phone off and back on. Now, everything works great, including wi-fi, & GPS. Battery life is much improved, and, perhaps this is my imagination, but voice recognition seems better as well. I have no beef with the new Swype keyboard look, actually I like it, and it works just as well as with 2.1. Swipe is a real innovation. Browser seems faster on 3G. I do not notice any slowing under 2.2 when changing phone orientation.

I have a bunch of apps and they all seem to work after 2.2 install. I have not noticed any problems at all with 2.2 and am really quite surprised that others seem to be having so many gremlins. My DX is a stocker, no root, no ATK and I don't have all the screens loaded up with widgets. Maybe that's why? I expected lots more trouble with the upgrade but it just didn't happen.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid x
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubamike View Post
    In almost every post I read, the word "Blur" is preceded by the words "Man, I sure do hate..." or "Boy, I can't stand..." Do all the Blur haters (everyone in the world except me??) still see all of the things they hate about Blur in this update?

After doing some reading in this forum I learned that Blur allowed to us "pull" the update unlike the D1 crowd who waited for a "push". I also enjoy my little Facebook widget showing status updates from the select few people I follow. For the record, I am a virtual non-Facebook(er) so this is "kind of a big deal" <voice of Ron Burgundy>. Blur is "ok" in my book.
    Oh, you are not the only Blur non-hater. I don't really notice. I haven't set the phone up with Facebook, because there is no conceivable reason for me to need to be notified that friend A just got a new waster on sale, or that friend B like so-and-so, or friend C just updated their profile pic.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Links