DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Soon to have a droid X

  1. Junior Droid
    alB5's Avatar
    Member #
    120240
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    Phone
    Soon to be an X
    #1

    Soon to have a droid X

    Hey guys, just wanted to know your experiences with the Droid X. I will soon be getting one and i want to know what you're feelings are software/hardware wise. I'm only asking this because Verizon has a back-order on this phone until friday or saturday, and i don't know if this upcoming Droid X will be completely functional since the past few (July Release) had the screen issue, and the other (August) had freezing problems.

    TIA

    DQ
  2. Master Droid
    liferefugee's Avatar
    Member #
    111629
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    260
    Phone
    Droid x
    #2
    Welcome to the forums... many people here with some great knowledge of all things droid, so never fear asking a question.

    I got mine about 2 weeks ago, everything has been great. No issues with software or hardware. Of course my use of it is games, browsing, social (yammer/facebook), email... so nothing major. Not trying to hook up to outlook or anything. In my opinion the phone is worth the wait. Everything that has been launched since the X came out has not topped it, been a viable second choice perhaps, but has not beat the X.

    What do you plan on using your phone for? Oh, and your timing is great since froyo is official tomorrow (unless something happens) which should make the software even better.... unless moto spent some of their time adding new things to try and stop us from doing custom things.

    If you have any tech savy at all, I highly recomend rooting your phone. You can always unroot it to restore warrenty should you need to do that. Some of the things you can do with it rooted is nice and if you check out the boards here you can get step by step instructions on just how to do it.
    Last edited by liferefugee; 09-21-2010 at 03:37 PM.
  3. Administrator
    smalltowngirl13's Avatar
    Member #
    25668
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    6,383
    Liked
    680 times
    Twitter
    @smalltownlife13
    Phone
    Note2, Maxx HD, S3, Nexus
    Premium Member
    #3
    Welcome to the forums!!

    I have had my X since release date and have had no issues (other than maybe a user error on occasion)...the issues that have been reported I think are minimal to the number of Xs that are actually out and being used...the phone itself is fast and offers alot of possibilities...unless you are a fan of "blur", I would not enable some of the components...it is truly like having a small computer in your hand - nice browser and searching capabilities...

    In addition to these subforums, also check us out at www.droidxforums.com...
    **Be yourself - Everyone else is already taken**

  4. Junior Droid
    alB5's Avatar
    Member #
    120240
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    Phone
    Soon to be an X
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by liferefugee View Post
    Welcome to the forums... many people here with some great knowledge of all things droid, so never fear asking a question.

    I got mine about 2 weeks ago, everything has been great. No issues with software or hardware. Of course my use of it is games, browsing, social (yammer/facebook), email... so nothing major. Not trying to hook up to outlook or anything. In my opinion the phone is worth the wait. Everything that has been launched since the X came out has not topped it, been a viable second choice perhaps, but has not beat the X.

    What do you plan on using your phone for? Oh, and your timing is great since froyo is official tomorrow (unless something happens) which should make the software even better.... unless moto spent some of their time adding new things to try and stop us from doing custom things.

    If you have any tech savy at all, I highly recomend rooting your phone. You can always unroot it to restore warrenty should you need to do that. Some of the things you can do with it rooted is nice and if you check out the boards here you can get step by step instructions on just how to do it.
    Thanks for the response, i plan to use the phone for the same reasons as you do. As an all rounded smartphone i do have a question about rooting*, do you recommend a Rooted* Droid X on 2.1 rather than a 2.2 Droid X non-rooted*? Also, is tethering similar to jailbreaking on iphones/ipod touches? Sorry I'm a noob at Android devices but I'm still pretty tech savvy.
    Last edited by alB5; 09-21-2010 at 03:56 PM.
  5. Junior Droid
    alB5's Avatar
    Member #
    120240
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    Phone
    Soon to be an X
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!!

    I have had my X since release date and have had no issues (other than maybe a user error on occasion)...the issues that have been reported I think are minimal to the number of Xs that are actually out and being used...the phone itself is fast and offers alot of possibilities...unless you are a fan of "blur", I would not enable some of the components...it is truly like having a small computer in your hand - nice browser and searching capabilities...

    In addition to these subforums, also check us out at www.droidxforums.com...
    Thanks for the link, i'll be sure to check it out when i get the phone itself
  6. Master Droid
    liferefugee's Avatar
    Member #
    111629
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    260
    Phone
    Droid x
    #6
    ok, tethering is simply the act of using your phone's 3g connection to support internet use on another device. I think what you are thinking of is rooting. Which makes your question, rooted 2.1 or non rooted 2.2.. and the answer to that is rooted 2.2

    jailbreaking I always took to mean unlocking the phone to use with another carrier, and this is not the same as rooting. rooting is gaining access to the super user account (root) which gives you full access to your phone instead of things being locked down. Much of android is familiar if you are familiar with command line linux.
  7. Junior Droid
    alB5's Avatar
    Member #
    120240
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    Phone
    Soon to be an X
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by liferefugee View Post
    ok, tethering is simply the act of using your phone's 3g connection to support internet use on another device. I think what you are thinking of is rooting. Which makes your question, rooted 2.1 or non rooted 2.2.. and the answer to that is rooted 2.2

    jailbreaking I always took to mean unlocking the phone to use with another carrier, and this is not the same as rooting. rooting is gaining access to the super user account (root) which gives you full access to your phone instead of things being locked down. Much of android is familiar if you are familiar with command line linux.
    Haha sorry, i got a little mixed up in the lingo. So do you have to be rooted to use the wi-fi tethering? I saw this video and got interested in doing so.



    Do you have to worry about the data limits when tethering to another device? (I will only be getting the minimum $30 plan when buying the phone)
  8. Master Droid
    liferefugee's Avatar
    Member #
    111629
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    260
    Phone
    Droid x
    #8
    currently the only way to get infrastucture wifi going (hotspot) is with VZ's app that runs $20/mo with a 2GB limit. That said...

    you can get bluetooth, usb, and wifi tether (ad hoc network) going without rooting if you use a paid app, or for free if you do root. 2.2 has this built in, but there is the app wireless tether you can download as well if rooted (if on 2.1). I know the devs of wireless tether are trying to get hotspot working, but they dont have a DX to test on so its slow going.

    If you use the second and third option (non vz paid app for non root, or rooted method) then VZ can only tell that your phone is pulling down data and you are bound by the terms of your data plan. That being said, general rule of thumb is dont be stupid and do things that your phone can not do like online MMO gaming from a laptop connected to your phone. Things like that can make big red upset and actively find ways to mess up the work around we currently have.
  9. Junior Droid
    alB5's Avatar
    Member #
    120240
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8
    Phone
    Soon to be an X
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by liferefugee View Post
    currently the only way to get infrastucture wifi going (hotspot) is with VZ's app that runs $20/mo with a 2GB limit. That said...

    you can get bluetooth, usb, and wifi tether (ad hoc network) going without rooting if you use a paid app, or for free if you do root. 2.2 has this built in, but there is the app wireless tether you can download as well if rooted (if on 2.1). I know the devs of wireless tether are trying to get hotspot working, but they dont have a DX to test on so its slow going.

    If you use the second and third option (non vz paid app for non root, or rooted method) then VZ can only tell that your phone is pulling down data and you are bound by the terms of your data plan. That being said, general rule of thumb is dont be stupid and do things that your phone can not do like online MMO gaming from a laptop connected to your phone. Things like that can make big red upset and actively find ways to mess up the work around we currently have.
    very informative, i dont plan on paying the extra $20 a month for wifi hotspot tethering. With that said is wired tethering to a local laptop possible? If not this wireless tether that 2.2 has built in, does it have ability to connect to at-least one device? I don't have much need for the "hotspot" feature.
  10. Master Droid
    liferefugee's Avatar
    Member #
    111629
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    260
    Phone
    Droid x
    #10
    if you just want to hook up a laptop, best bet is to use USB tethering... use the same usb (standard to micro) that comes with the phone for charging unless you have another one. The one in the box is kinda short.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can ya hook a droid x up to a laptop?
,

connect laptop to droid x for free

,
droid hotspot limited access
,
droid x jailbreak hotspot
,
droid x wifi hotspot jail break
,
free jailbreak droid x
,
hook up android to laptop ad-hoc
,
how to break droid just use wifi
,
jailbreak droid x hotspot
,
jailbreak droid x verizon
,
other networks besides verizon for droid x
,
want to unlock droid x to hook up on other
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+