DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Any reason copying files from PC to SD card is so slow?

  1. Droid Newbie
    dean407's Avatar
    Member #
    114111
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #1

    Question Any reason copying files from PC to SD card is so slow?

    Hi all,

    Ordered my Droid X last week and got it a couple days ago.

    So far I REALLY like it and have no big issues at all. It's a HUGE improvement over my Blackberry curve 8330!

    One weird thing to me though...I am copying some files from my PC to the phone's SD card. They are small files- mostly pics.

    It's VERY slow copying. Much much slower than when I copied files to the Blackberry.

    Is there any reason for this?

    Thanks...

    -Dean
  2. Master Droid
    Technoman's Avatar
    Member #
    12158
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    980
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bolt of Thunder
    #2
    Are you using a USB 2.0 compliant port on the PC and is the cable you are using also USB 2.0 compliant? Mine copies just fine. What mode are you connected to the PC (what did you select when the USB connection prompted)?
  3. Junior Droid
    DaRkL3AD3R's Avatar
    Member #
    117242
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    18
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    #3
    $5 says you're in PC Mode on the phone. Check it by dragging down the notification bar, tapping USB Connection, and telling us what it was set to.
  4. Droid Newbie
    dean407's Avatar
    Member #
    114111
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #4
    Yep. Same port I use with other external devices. When I plugged the phone in, Motorola drivers loaded up. MotoConnect icon is in the bottom right. No updates available. Using USB cable that came with phone. I access the Phone's sd card via My Computer and double clicking on the DROIDX icon then removable storage.

    It's taking about 25 min to copy 37MB of pics.

    The phone works fine and I can view files and load up files from the card fine.

    Any ideas? It's far too slow. I can copy to the Blackberry's SD card at a normal speed on the same port.

    -Dean
  5. Droid Newbie
    dean407's Avatar
    Member #
    114111
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    $5 says you're in PC Mode on the phone. Check it by dragging down the notification bar, tapping USB Connection, and telling us what it was set to.
    YEP!! That is it! :-)
  6. Junior Droid
    DaRkL3AD3R's Avatar
    Member #
    117242
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    18
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dean407 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    $5 says you're in PC Mode on the phone. Check it by dragging down the notification bar, tapping USB Connection, and telling us what it was set to.
    YEP!! That is it! :-)

    Knew it. Click that USB connection again and change it to USB Mass Storage.

    When you're in PC Mode, any file you transfer to the SD Card gets "processed" by the phone. The file along with a pretty "file transfer received" information appears in the notification bar. This significantly slows down the transfer process.

    Once you change it to Mass Storage you will see a significant boost in transfer speeds.
  7. Master Droid
    Technoman's Avatar
    Member #
    12158
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    980
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bolt of Thunder
    #7
    Basically that was what I was asking when I stated "what option did you select when you connect the USB to the phone". Mass Storage is the best connection for speed. I will tell you that for me it hasn't always been the best for my phone to be able to find my files.

    For instance, I have a bunch of MP3 files that I copied to the phone using "Mass Storage mode" into the music folder on the SD card. When I go into the default music app, it says I don't have any music installed. If I browse my SD Card with "Astro"... my files are all there and I can play them one at a time.
  8. Junior Droid
    DaRkL3AD3R's Avatar
    Member #
    117242
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    18
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Technoman View Post
    Basically that was what I was asking when I stated "what option did you select when you connect the USB to the phone". Mass Storage is the best connection for speed. I will tell you that for me it hasn't always been the best for my phone to be able to find my files.

    For instance, I have a bunch of MP3 files that I copied to the phone using "Mass Storage mode" into the music folder on the SD card. When I go into the default music app, it says I don't have any music installed. If I browse my SD Card with "Astro"... my files are all there and I can play them one at a time.

    Hmmm. That's odd lol.
  9. Droid
    Jamb's Avatar
    Member #
    112307
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    96
    #9
    Take the card out of phone. Then transfer info onto card from pc when finished put card back into phone presto you done.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. copying files over from PC
    By dtroy66 in forum Motorola Droid 2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM
  2. SD Card Copying Slow
    By gonnadie4thegov in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 02:18 PM
  3. copying files to sdcard without pc
    By rshackleford in forum Android Roms
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
  4. Copying Sound Files to my Droid's Memory?
    By s-one in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-11-2010, 11:58 PM
  5. Copying Pictures to SD Card
    By captkras in forum Android Audio and Video
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 08:33 AM

Search tags for this page

copying files to sd card slow
,
copying to sd card slow
,
sd card on pc extremely slow
,
slow sd card transfer
,
takes a long time to copy files to sd card
,
transfering files to sd takes forever
,

why are sd cards so slow

,
why are sd cards so slow?
,

why is my sd card so slow

,
why my archives to sd card copy so slow
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+