DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remove Advanced Task Killer from the droid x

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid X

I understand

I have all of the posts on why to get rid of task killers, but no one has addressed leaving it installed in the background. Meaning, I used ATK to kill apps that I know don't shut down properly when I exit, don't have a real "exit," and ultimately kill my battery (eg: connect four (a very stimulating adult game)).
    I have autokiller turned off, and I only kill apps occasionally (once every other day).
    The question: is having ATK installed bad or is it just using ATK or autokiller the bad thing?
    I suppose I could figure out the apps that give me a hard time and close the app the old fashioned way, but this is a lot easier.....just curious.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X, Milestone, and Incred
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Dad View Post
    I have all of the posts on why to get rid of task killers, but no one has addressed leaving it installed in the background. Meaning, I used ATK to kill apps that I know don't shut down properly when I exit, don't have a real "exit," and ultimately kill my battery (eg: connect four (a very stimulating adult game)).
    I have autokiller turned off, and I only kill apps occasionally (once every other day).
    The question: is having ATK installed bad or is it just using ATK or autokiller the bad thing?
    I suppose I could figure out the apps that give me a hard time and close the app the old fashioned way, but this is a lot easier.....just curious.
    Having it installed is not the bad thing, using it is.... Droid OS is made to close apps, even connect 4, when it becomes the least used of all that you opened. I have personally tested the method with and without the ATK, and my phone has the same amount of battery life without the ATK and runs smoother. Several OS developers state that killing apps like that in this type of OS is bad. Download OS Manager from Market and look at what is running and what is ACTUALLY using CPU usages (which is what drains battery). The whole thing "its running in the background so its running down my battery" is simply a myth, if you want PM and I can explain more in detail.
  3. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Typically, task kilers cause more problems (force closes apps, drain battery, laggy) than the solve. The Android OS was designed to handle dormant apps and does a great job. Therefore, most feel there is no need to use a task killer or try to manually stop any app.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid X

I understand

Yes, thank you for the replies. I have been reading all of these posts and have watched all of the movies since this became a discussion on July 15th, and understand the concept behind not using task killers, which is why I don't use it but to occasionally kill an app that I feel didn't close properly.

I used connect 4 as an example bc one day my battery drained very quickly and when I looked at what was using my battery, connect 4 was at 85 or 90% with screen at 4% and so on...so now I use ATK to kill connect 4 when I am done with it bc something didn't close it when I was done with it and it literally did use up my battery. Maybe this was a freak incident.
    It really doesn't matter, bc I don't use it that much, I have autokiller turned off, and I don't have any major problems (other than wifi) that I can attribute to ATK.
    BUT, if you all say that apps in the background (which I am perfectly fine with and understand the thoughts behind Droid OS), even if they are physically running (like I think connect 4 was) do not use up my battery (even if it said 90% was used by connect 4), then I will delete it for good with the hope that my X will run even better than it already runs (Woo Hoo!), instead of just "not using it that much."

good dialogue, though, and with more people starting to get theirs off of the wait list (particularly newbies), and Verizon still telling people to install task killers, this is an important conversation to keep on the first page
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    Because of this...

Androidology (& Android OS Memory Management [task killers])

And welcome to the forums!!
    Would this all be applicable to the Droid not DroidX too? It seems ever since I updated to 2.2 I have so many apps loading in the background. I usually go into ATK and kill them, but I am thinking of letting the system manage them instead now.

Marty
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bolt of Thunder
    Quote Originally Posted by sullfam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltowngirl13 View Post
    Because of this...

Androidology (& Android OS Memory Management [task killers])

And welcome to the forums!!
    Would this all be applicable to the Droid not DroidX too? It seems ever since I updated to 2.2 I have so many apps loading in the background. I usually go into ATK and kill them, but I am thinking of letting the system manage them instead now.

Marty
    Marty,
    What is stated here is applicable to ALL Android OS based phones, no matter what version you are running.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I have ATK chilling out on the X but only use it when we have an unresponsive app that just wont give up.

I've had the phone with and without ATK and never noticed a difference in how it behaves.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Twitter
    @pternahan
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Premium Member
    When I was a young Droid I used a task killer to until I found out the the various disadvantages to using one
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X w/ 2.3.340 NexTheme
    Dr Dad,

I don't know if this would help, but I read somewhere that hitting the home key leaves stuff open in the background but hitting back actually closes it out. Or something. No expert, just something I read on teh interwebz.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid2
    Quote Originally Posted by donballz View Post
    Dr Dad,

I don't know if this would help, but I read somewhere that hitting the home key leaves stuff open in the background but hitting back actually closes it out. Or something. No expert, just something I read on teh interwebz.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    It makes no difference. People prob just think that cause if you "back" all the way out of a program, some will ask you if you want to exit.

I also read that with the 2.2 update that the OS no longer lets one app end another app so task killers are really acting up now since they don't work at all compared to just bad before
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links