DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting contact pictures limited to camera roll?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

setting contact pictures limited to camera roll?

Took me a while to figure out what was happening (or not happening!), but my phone (X) will allow me to go through the motions of setting an existing photo as a specific contact photo in my contact list but it doesn't actually save it.

I got it to work a couple times but when trying to set up others it just wouldn't work. It took me a bit to figure out that only photos in my Camera Roll can successfully be used for my contacts... unfortunately my X is new and of the 300+ photos I have on my phone, only a few are ones I've taken with the phone (thus in the Camera Roll)...

Am I doing something wrong? Why will it let me go through the motions of setting an existing photo from the "All Photos" folder for a contact but just won't do the last step of actually saving it?

If this is a limitation of the phone/programming is there a way to get around it by moving my photos into a specific folder on my SD card?
    Thx, scott

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Just go to Contacts, pick the contact you want to set the picture for, then Menu > Edit. Click on the little picture with the "+" at the top left, then Use Existing Photo...
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by LouS View Post
    Just go to Contacts, pick the contact you want to set the picture for, then Menu > Edit. Click on the little picture with the "+" at the top left, then Use Existing Photo...
    Thanks Lou, but that's what I meant by 'going through the motions'... I did what you stated above but unless I use 'Camera Roll' it doesn't work. I have about 300 photos that I've transfered to my phone (they are in multiple gallery folders as well as appear in the "All Photos" folder). I can select ANY photo and it will bring up the yellow box allowing me to choose the part of the photo I want to use.... then I can hit save but it just comes back up with a blank screen or the cropped picture (most of the time it saves the cropped photo as a separate photo in my All Photos folder). Point is it stays in the photo gallery application and doesn't take me back to the Contact application.

Now if I do the same thing but chose a photo specifically from the Camera Roll, once cropped and then I hit "save" it drops back to the Contact application and shows the cropped picture in the Contact edit page... which I can then save and it's done. Problem is that the majority of my photos are NOT in my Camera Roll but those are the photos I want to use for my Contacts....
    Thx, scott
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    No one else having this problem? Or no one else trying to use photos not in Camera Roll for Contact tags?
    Thx, scott
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I have no problem setting pictures that are not on my camera roll as contact pictures. Yes the crop box comes up and I have to crop the picture and it saves the cropped picture as a new picture but it does work...
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LouS View Post
    I have no problem setting pictures that are not on my camera roll as contact pictures. Yes the crop box comes up and I have to crop the picture and it saves the cropped picture as a new picture but it does work...
    I have no problems with it either....

You do know that if your contact has a facbook pic it will not over ride it....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

8. scf
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Moto Droido Xo
    same here in 2.2. can't get pic to save to contact. i don't do the facebook crap.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    I have this issue as well. I was able to save pictures to my contacts once (and those are pictures from the computer, not the X) but now can't change them - when I open the contact the new picture shows, but on my homescreen/favorites, or when the person calls me, the new picture is not there.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I don't have any facebook stuff... it simply wont let me use a photo from any place other than the camera roll. maybe I'll try setting it up on my computer and see if the photo syncs to my phone... but highly doubt that!

Maybe it has something to do with the tag of the photo or size, etc... or maybe I'm just not holding my mouth right...
    Thx, scott
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID2
    i have the same problem, i think its pretty anoying, I saved a pic from a txt msg, it created a folder Messaging in the phone files and put the pic there, i wanted to use that for this persons contact, no go! took a pic with the camera of a can of soda, it created a folder in the DCIM folder called Camera and let me select that, now this contact has a photo of a can of soda that i cant change.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links