DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem with unofficial update

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X

Problem with unofficial update

Ok, so I'm new to the Android OS, yes I have searched pretty much for the last solid day, so please don't say "go search".

Anyway, here's the problem, (I think) and what I've tried....

I am getting the error 7 when attempting to update. prior I had loaded 928 black gloss and assumed (I think incorrectly) that wiping user data would restore my phone prior to that mod.

my question at this point is when the official update comes out will I have the same issue? I guess since I'm such a newb, waiting might be my best bet as long as it doesn't fail the same way. If it will, I'll do more searching on how to completely remove that mod.

to date, the only mods I have done are, I have rooted, added the black gloss theme, added some apps from the market (including some root only apps), but I have not removed anything stock, well unless adding the gloss theme removed stock items....

thanks for any responses
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    holy ****, 66 views and not one suggestion? wtf?
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Not everyone is an expert....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Did you apply the "back to stock" theme? Remember every thing is fixable, well almost everything.

Do you still want to update to 2.2 with root?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Thanks
    Mitchell
    DX rooted
    W/ 2.2
  5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    700 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    I never did any themes but I am thinking your theme didn't remove all the way that is why you are getting that error. And yes when the official build comes out you will have the same problem more than likely. At least with the theme, some believe updating will kill your root. There are some threads in the hack sections of not removing themes properly and what to do to fix them.

Maybe following the unbricking your droid guide in the hacks section would be a good option and just go back to stock and wait for official release.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    hailtothetheif8
    Phone
    GOOGLE Nexus S 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydman View Post
    I never did any themes but I am thinking your theme didn't remove all the way that is why you are getting that error. And yes when the official build comes out you will have the same problem more than likely. At least with the theme, some believe updating will kill your root. There are some threads in the hack sections of not removing themes properly and what to do to fix them.

Maybe following the unbricking your droid guide in the hacks section would be a good option and just go back to stock and wait for official release.
    Check out the 928 X thread... me and another guy who had the 928 Black Glass theme had tons of issues going to the 2.2 Just follow what is on there look for my name hailtothetheif83 for my responses

I had to flash fab's back to stock update.zip, and 928's back to stock also had to add back my sticky notes.apk for some reason it was messing up my update

928's theme is awesome but changed a lot more than I knew about

took a little bit to figure out but am now loving my X with 2.2!!

Hope that helps you a little

After you do all those added above I suggest you download the NEW version of Koush's bootstrapper and ROM manager (yes they work together now per Koush's twitter) the ROOTED 2.2 update is in clockwork
    Last edited by hailtothetheif83; 08-22-2010 at 06:03 PM.
    Nexus S 4G MIUI 1.7.1,
    Kernel: *Matr1x* with BLN and voodoo v3.5 - smartass gov and 1.4 Ghz oc
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Or you could run .604 sbf
    then root
    then rooted 2.2 update.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X2 ROOTED
    yeah the theme was great, but it did a number on my phone for what it changed (dont get me wrong 928 is a genuis but wow my phone was screwed up) i did his back to stock theme then i did a system recovery then i did a fab theme removal with the bootstrap then i was finally able to install 2.2
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    hailtothetheif8
    Phone
    GOOGLE Nexus S 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by chops View Post
    yeah the theme was great, but it did a number on my phone for what it changed (dont get me wrong 928 is a genuis but wow my phone was screwed up) i did his back to stock theme then i did a system recovery then i did a fab theme removal with the bootstrap then i was finally able to install 2.2
    Exactly what I had to do after I loaded 928's theme

Indeed it was an awesome theme but it went to far into the phone especially before we had the ability to Nandroid the stock first.

That was the first thing I did after getting rooted 2.2 on my X made a Nandroid right away
    Nexus S 4G MIUI 1.7.1,
    Kernel: *Matr1x* with BLN and voodoo v3.5 - smartass gov and 1.4 Ghz oc
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Thanks to these fine folks for taking the time to formulate a potentially helpful response. I will try these suggestions and post back....again, many many thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links