DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Droid X Recovery finally released!

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Droid X Recovery finally released!

Koush, working with birdman and rainabba, has finally released a droid X recovery package!

Well, this was a *****.

Caveats: This is not a *real* recovery. The way this recovery works is by hijacking portions of your boot process during system initialization and starting into recovery instead. So, if you hose your system *COMPLETELY* you will need to SBF. Specifically, if your logwrapper, logwrapper.bin, or hijack binary are missing from /system/bin, you will be screwed.

How does this work? When your device boots up, there is a init.rc script in your boot image that runs various components found in /system. The Droid X recovery bootstrap mimics the "logwrapper" binary. The hijacker then looks for "/data/.recovery_mode", and if it finds it, it unmounts /system to prevent android from starting. It then starts up recovery instead.

How do I boot into recovery? You can manually create the /data/.recovery_mode via a terminal file and simply reboot, and you will be in recovery. Or you can use the handy Droid X Recovery Bootstrap application to reboot into recovery.

What if my phone won't boot? How do I get into recovery without the app? When the hijacker runs, it will automatically create the "/data/.recovery_mode" file after it finishes. This tells the system that the next time it boots, it should boot into recovery. But, when the system starts, the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap will then delete that file when Android is fully started, to prevent you from booting into recovery. So what does this mean? If you fail to boot, simply pull your battery, and your next boot will be into recovery (unless your /system is *really* hosed, in which case you need to SBF).

Why does the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap start on boot? As mentioned above, it needs to log that your phone booted successfully and recovery mode is not necessary. It also replaces your "adb daemon" with one that has root permissions, allowing for easier usage of the adb command.

Will this work with ROM Manager? Yes, but not yet. I need to make some minor updates to ROM Manager first to support this recovery. Future recovery updates will come through ROM Manager.
    Is this open source? Yep.
    Recovery: koush's android_bootable_recovery at eclair - GitHub
    Droid X Bootstrap: koush's DroidXBootstrap at master - GitHub
    Droid X Hijack: koush's android_vendor_motorola_droidx at master - GitHub

OK STOP TALKING, WHERE DO I GET IT? You can grab it for $2 off the Android Market, or you can download it for free here: http://koush.tandtgaming.com//motoro...XBootstrap.apk
    link to this page here: My Brain Hurts
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Also, can anybody explain how to do this or how to use the links? Maybe I'm really tired, but I'm stumped what to do with those codes. I downloaded the bootloader on my droid x, and there's 2 buttons. "Bootstrap Recovery", and "Reboot Recovery". I'm assuming I need a custom ROM or the developers froyo 2.2 to do anything with these buttons?
    Last edited by ggaabe; 08-18-2010 at 09:14 PM.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    wsbsteven
    Phone
    Bionic, Xoom
    Quote Originally Posted by ggaabe View Post

Koush, working with birdman and rainabba, has finally released a droid X recovery package!
    Where did you see they were working together? Last I saw Alldroid was whining that Koush was going to beat them to the punch which hurts their donation income.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Can someone explain to me how ROMs will really make any difference without replacing the kernel? Isn't all the good stuff like speed optimizations and JIT and overclockig and flash all located in the kernel?

Obviously this is a big step in getting there but isn't it kind of pointless right now? Can someone give me some more info or input?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Member #
    Phone
    Voodoo'd Fascinate
    Just installed this, made a nandroid backup. This is a great day for X owners.
    Samsung Fascinate<--My current obsession
    Voodoo'd, Overclocked, Undervolted, and Debinged
    Quadrant: 1994 Linpack: 9.8
    I also own: Droid Eris, Droid 1, Droid X
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrocks91 View Post
    Can someone explain to me how ROMs will really make any difference without replacing the kernel? Isn't all the good stuff like speed optimizations and JIT and overclockig and flash all located in the kernel?

Obviously this is a big step in getting there but isn't it kind of pointless right now? Can someone give me some more info or input?

It gives you an option of loading a custom rom with out all of the bloatware that comes with a stock rom. It also gives you an option of loading a stock vanilla android rom without motoblur.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrocks91 View Post

It gives you an option of loading a custom rom with out all of the bloatware that comes with a stock rom. It also gives you an option of loading a stock vanilla android rom without motoblur.
    true true. but we wont be able to get froyo right without a custom kernel also?
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    it is possible to run froyo
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i dont understand how we can run full froyo without a custom kernel. arent all the optimizations in the kernel itself, JIT FLASH etc?
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROIDX
    bump i'm also curious
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links