DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? Keyboard display w/ directional arrow / buttons

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX

? Keyboard display w/ directional arrow / buttons

While typing a text msg, I magically got the virtual keyboard to display a view with the UP, DOWN, LEFT, and RIGHT ARROWS for navigation (this is not the Number screen and Symbol screen).

Anyone know how to do this? I have no idea how I did it, and no one at the local mega Verizon store knew how to make it reappear. It's not in the manual, and I haven't been able to find it via Google. Thanks! By the way, I have the "input method" set to "Swype", but I can't figure how to display the directional arrows in "multi-touch keyboard" either.
    Last edited by leemailbox; 08-14-2010 at 06:45 PM.

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX

How do you do it on the regular multi-touch virtual keyboard?

Wow! Thanks for the tip for getting arrows on the Swype keyboard! How about the regular multi-touch virtual keyboard?
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    I am anxiously awaiting a response to this also!

edited because I just found this:
    http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/22...d-for-droid-x/

but I am not sure how well it works and I'm not even sure how to download it! This is all new to me.
    Last edited by JackiA; 08-15-2010 at 01:32 PM.
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X

Smile Navigation / Cursor Direction keys on Swype virtual keyboard!

I wanted these so bad. I accidently pulled up the directional UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT and more keys and didn't know how I did it and couldn't repeat it. I searched online. Just not quite the right keywords I guess. I called Verizon and they didn't know. Verizon forwarded me to Motorola support and their no help support just said I couldn't. I said but I did, I saw. They just repeated there are no UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT keys on the virtual keyboard. I even asked a developer who creates custom virtual keyboards on tablets and no luck.

Yesterday I found the instructions. Trying to use the annoying "bubble"that I cannot consistently pull up and sometimes is under my finger so I cannot see it. My attempts bring up the edit menu more often. The Swype help came up as usual when I am trying to get to the spot I want. This time I clicked "More on This?" and just started reading. A few paragraphs down ... The Cursor Direction keys! They called it the Editing Keyboard.

Up, Down, Left, Right, Back Delete, Forward Delete, Back Word Delete, Tab, Enter, Page Up, Page Down, Space, Home, End, Cut, Copy, Paste, Select Text, Select All, Cursor Jump and options key for Swype settings.

Swype from the information-Swype key (i with S squiggle) to the SYM key when on ABC keyboard; Swype from the i-Swype key to ABC when on SYM keyboard and it pulls it up. So I guess I should read ALL the information under Swype.

Only found this on the Swype input method. Now to have some one program these navigation/direction keys in the multi touch or any other virtual keyboard developed for touch screens in Android.

I love my phone even more now!

Fun & Smiles,
    CC Heart Cindy

Post added: I was soo excited to find this and share I didn't see the replies. I just saw the question and wanted to answer.
    Last edited by CCHeartCindy; 09-06-2010 at 08:58 AM.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2.2
    "Arrows Keyboard" - App

Another way to get your arrows is with this keyboard app that gives you the arrows keys on the normal layout and not only on an editing keyboard a few layers down.

App is called "Arrows Keyboard" and works on v2.2 and better.

Downside is there is no Swipe.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Another option would be Smart Keyboard. You can toggle an arrow keypad using up/down/left/right swiping gesture or a longpress under the kb preferences.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, Bionic, Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by FullyInvolvedMedia View Post
    "Arrows Keyboard" - App

Another way to get your arrows is with this keyboard app that gives you the arrows keys on the normal layout and not only on an editing keyboard a few layers down.

App is called "Arrows Keyboard" and works on v2.2 and better.

this keyboard is awesome on my Droid X, i have been searching for a good keyboard with arrow keys on the main keyboard for ages, your joystick-like arrow key implementation is great, thanks!

any chance you could make the the arow keys repeat (like the delete key) as long as i hold it down? maybe the repeat could start after a short pause to avoid an accidental extended press? and the repeat rate should definitely be slower than the delete key for precise cursor control.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2.2
    Thanks for the feedback Phil! That is actually one of the feature upgrades I would like to work on for our next release, so it would be the same functionality as keys on a real keyboard.

If you could throw us some positve feedback in the market that would be great.

We've been working for weeks to make sure the keyboard displays properly on all these different models. What a headache!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid
    Ultra Keyboard also offer arrows along the bottom of the keyboard for both tracing and regular text input.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links