DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Just got my Droid X, now what??

  1. Junior Droid
    Chawpz's Avatar
    Member #
    102839
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rocklin, CA
    Posts
    19
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    #1

    Just got my Droid X, now what??

    Hello all,

    Been browsing the forums today and still have some questions. I have been an iPhone user for the last few years. Well, I became fed up with ATT and their lack of service and Apple themselves. Wouldn't you know it...just in time for a Droid X! This thing is great! However, I am soooo "in over my head" at this point seeing as I am used to an iphone. So my main question is: What should I do first? What apps are 'must-haves'. I am noticing that an app killer is a must. But what else does everyone suggest? Also, what are these 'bar code' looking things as I surf the android market and other pages that are associated with apps? Anyway, any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

    B
  2. Droid Ninja
    aminaked's Avatar
    Member #
    25714
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,187
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    #2
    Where is everyone seeing that a task killer is a must? Everything I read of any substance says that the built-in android task killer does a fine job and any task killer you download is probably more trouble than it's worth.

    New Droid X owners should read this thread: Droid X battery problems discovered!!!!!!!
  3. Senior Droid
    TheJester34's Avatar
    Member #
    93764
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Dunlap, TN
    Posts
    185
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    Snyderman34
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    #3
    To start, I'd definitely replace the native text messaging app with either Handcent or ChompSMS. After you install go to Text Messaging>>>>Settings and turn off the notifications. That will keep you from getting multiple notifications when you get a text.

    System Panel Lite would also do some good. It has a built in task killer if you want one, but be warned that if you kill everything it literally kills everything (someone was saying that it killed their USB and they couldn't charge their phone without a reboot, if I remember right). It also lets you view CPU and memory usage. The paid version lets you track what apps have been using the most processor cycles and such.

    Mini Info is a widget that I personally enjoy. Shows battery life left, as well as internal disk space and SD card space left. Doesn't seem to use a lot of battery to use either.

    If you're a social networker, Facebook for Android is a great one for FB. For Twitter, I use Touiteur. Free version is great, though there is a paid version if you deem it worth it (although Tweetdeck is rumored to be coming to Android so you may want to wait for that).

    For weather and clock widgets, I've heard Beautiful Widgets is a great app to have. I don't have this one, but I'm sure someone will chip in.

    I also use LauncherPro. It replaces the stock launcher, and is very much smoother to scroll with. There's a paid version with some extra options, though the free version works great for me. Hope this helped some
  4. Droid Ninja
    aminaked's Avatar
    Member #
    25714
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,187
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
  5. Junior Droid
    Chawpz's Avatar
    Member #
    102839
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rocklin, CA
    Posts
    19
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    #5
    Thanks so much for the help thus far. Not really into that mail app, but maybe it'll grow on me. Could be user error with the difficulties in setting up an exchange acct anyway, lol. Loving the Launcher Pro app as well as Handcent. Thanks again!
    B
  6. Droid Ninja
    aminaked's Avatar
    Member #
    25714
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,187
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    #6
    This might help you with Exchange problems in K9: K9MailAndExchange - k9mail - Advice on how to configure K-9 Mail to work with Exchange - Project Hosting on Google Code

    Also, Touchdown is supposed to work well with exchange.

    The stock email client on Android is buggy. See: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...tml#post725953
  7. Junior Droid
    Chawpz's Avatar
    Member #
    102839
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rocklin, CA
    Posts
    19
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by aminaked View Post
    This might help you with Exchange problems in K9: K9MailAndExchange - k9mail - Advice on how to configure K-9 Mail to work with Exchange - Project Hosting on Google Code

    Also, Touchdown is supposed to work well with exchange.

    The stock email client on Android is buggy. See: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...tml#post725953
    When installing another e-mail app, do I need to disable the original? Or does the new app override the original app? Thx
  8. Droid Ninja
    aminaked's Avatar
    Member #
    25714
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,187
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Chawpz View Post
    When installing another e-mail app, do I need to disable the original? Or does the new app override the original app? Thx
    I just removed the account from the stock app. Trust me, the thing is flakey. K9 does not override the original app.
  9. Junior Droid
    PrinceNubian's Avatar
    Member #
    101400
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    28
    Phone
    RAZR
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Chawpz View Post
    Hello all,

    Been browsing the forums today and still have some questions. I have been an iPhone user for the last few years. Well, I became fed up with ATT and their lack of service and Apple themselves. Wouldn't you know it...just in time for a Droid X! This thing is great! However, I am soooo "in over my head" at this point seeing as I am used to an iphone. So my main question is: What should I do first? What apps are 'must-haves'. I am noticing that an app killer is a must. But what else does everyone suggest? Also, what are these 'bar code' looking things as I surf the android market and other pages that are associated with apps? Anyway, any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

    B
    Just received my DX today 8/12 and like OP i'm was excited and then
    now what???

    Thanks Jester and otheres for ur input and feedback it really helps.

    My 1st objective is to get a nice theme. There was a Black Glass theme
    called eclair that I can't mange to find now.

    Keep the info coming.

    Prince
  10. Senior Droid
    grimloktt's Avatar
    Member #
    54481
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    222
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #10
    I like sweeter home launcher. You have to get it from his website instead of the market. Only get it if you want TOTAL customizability.

    As you can see from my signature, I also use tap talk for forums.

    Weather can be had free from weather channel or weather bug. I have both on my phone.

    Lots of good stuff. You just have read and figure out what you want.

    Oh... I also use locale. Its a pretty crazy program...

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

got a droid now what
,
got a droid x now what
,
how do i know if my service charges to surf on my droid
,
how do i override my text messaging for my droid x 2
,
i got a droid now what
,
i have a droid now what
,
i just got my droid x now what
,
i just now got my droid x
,

just got a droid x now what

,
just got a droid x what now?
,
verizon exchange droid x for iphone
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+