DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swype's "hidden word"

1. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Please use the Search Option before starting a new Thread - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...dden-word.html

2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Since we're not directly punching in the keys, the software assumes the words we are most likely to be typing. Sometimes, the traces of certain words are too similar, and add to that the imperfection of our movement, Swype will not get the correct word 100% of the time. So when it's confused, it'll give you the words that best match the trace you've provided. That is, if you were trying to type pretty, most likely you'd be seeing the page in question with a list of words such as pretty and petty.

This feature, I like, as I'd imagine most of the users would.

But every time we this feature is enabled and we choose not the first word, the one that best matches the trace you've provided, it'll show a "tips" page informing us on how to remove such words. And it keeps on popping up, long after you've memorized every word on the page.

Even worse is that if the word whose trace is similar to another word happens to be in your contacts, you're just screwed. You can't delete the name from Swype dictionary, which means if you have a Facebook friend named Holly whom you haven't seen in the past 6 years, every time you try to type holy and don't get the trace perfectly, you'll be seeing this page.
    Last edited by xowktiger; 11-16-2010 at 05:02 AM.
  3. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the Greater Understanding xowktiger

4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    NP, tp76. I'm currently suffering from insomnia. I took a sleeping pill my friend gave me, but I'm still wide awake at 4AM.
    If anything, thank YOU for making me feel like I contributed to the world, instead of sitting at my desk like a zombie. Speaking of, I guess I'll play some zombies.
  5. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xowktiger View Post
    NP, tp76. I'm currently suffering from insomnia. I took a sleeping pill my friend gave me, but I'm still wide awake at 4AM.
    If anything, thank YOU for making me feel like I contributed to the world, instead of sitting at my desk like a zombie. Speaking of, I guess I'll play some zombies.
    Anytime I think of insomnia I think of The Fight Club - be careful and don't beat yourself up

6. Master Droid
    Member #
    one correction. The hidden word box only comes up if you have added a word to Swypes dictionary (which it does automatically if you type rather than swype a word) and then you select a different word from the selection pop-up.

The latest Beta seems to be less aggressive in doing this although it is still irritating if the added word is valid just not for this sentence.

Alan
  7. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tp76 View Post
    I don't understand why this "hidden word" box comes up - as an Original Droid/Beta Swype user I don't get this - can someone explain it a little bit ?
    like when it appears? when swyping a word and it makes a suggestion for you, after so many times, the tip will appear full screen. kinda frequent now
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    droid
    If you like swying and want to try an alternative without that pop up box you could try ultra keyboard ...in the market... more customizable than swype...the box will only pop up if a word is not in you dictionary and you would like to add or ignore it.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    Phone
    Note 2
    Premium Member
    ^ thank you and wow. I've used Swype, slideit, shapewriter,8pen and Ultra beats them all.
    Make my own themes,5 lines and no lag on any words like Swype and SlideItdoes. My favorite part is how easy it is to customize
    Support our troops!
    slidered from a wifi monolith
    The United States is the land of the free because of the brave.
    To all who serve or have served in the U.S. military and to your families, THANK YOU. Your sacrifices are NOT in vain!
    May God continue to bless the USA
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikermark View Post
    ^ thank you and wow. I've used Swype, slideit, shapewriter,8pen and Ultra beats them all.
    Make my own themes,5 lines and no lag on any words like Swype and SlideItdoes. My favorite part is how easy it is to customize
    Support our troops!
    slidered from a wifi monolith
    I'll try ultra- it sounds nice. Would be nice to not have the second character I type not appear before the first word I swyped because of lag!

I HATE the Swype tips box. The implementation of the tips box is unacceptable. Absolutely ridiculous. Tips should not be displayed EVERY time.

What's worse is that to actually do what the tips box references (delete the word which Swype erroneously identified) the user must type it back in! There is no easy to delete it from the custom dictionary with that annoying tips pop up box itself!

And of course the technique is useless with non-custom words. SO OFTEN Swype tips in words that I can almost guarantee I'll never type. Sometimes the predicted words are All words I never type. If I ever wanted them I could type them without Swype!

BUT the most annoying thing for me has to be when that@#!% tips box shows up while I'm using the stock Notes app. EVERY TIME I an scrolled to the top of my current note. And sliding down the note stinks- there's no 'momentum' or acceleration. I usually pull up the jump/arrow keys and juno to the bottom. SUCH A PAIN!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links