DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Droid X on Different Carrier

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Lightbulb Droid X on Different Carrier

I got my Droid X on launch day and love it so far. However, I just recently found out I will be relocating to a different country. After doing a bit of research I found that a large carrier there also uses CDMA technology and many unlocked verizon phones have been configured to work on that network.

My question is do you guys think I will ever be able to use my Droid X on another carriers CDMA network or should I just return this phone before my month trial is up.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by c4k3z View Post
    I got my Droid X on launch day and love it so far. However, I just recently found out I will be relocating to a different country. After doing a bit of research I found that a large carrier there also uses CDMA technology and many unlocked verizon phones have been configured to work on that network.

My question is do you guys think I will ever be able to use my Droid X on another carriers CDMA network or should I just return this phone before my month trial is up.
    you could, you will need the carriers Mip/SIP settings, prl, imsi. sid, and carrier code. the only problem is as of now the RSD's dont have the matrix file to change or manipulate that information, you could get risky and use Qpst. I'm 100 Percent you could get it to make calls, 25-50% Data.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    vzw s3
    if this was the case, can you imagine all the at & t Iphone folks lined up to get there Droid on
    The latest ain't always the greatest!
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by vzwtek View Post

you could, you will need the carriers Mip/SIP settings, prl, imsi. sid, and carrier code. the only problem is as of now the RSD's dont have the matrix file to change or manipulate that information, you could get risky and use Qpst. I'm 100 Percent you could get it to make calls, 25-50% Data.
    Could you please elaborate, I thought the Droid X was locked and that without cracking the bootloader a true unlock would be impossible.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

Could you please elaborate, I thought the Droid X was locked and that without cracking the bootloader a true unlock would be impossible.
    If this other carrier is CDMA, unlocking is not the problem, you can force a phone to roam on any network if you wanted it to. The work is trying to get it to A. Do the over the air activation. B. trying to get the phone to recognize that carriers data settings to use it on their network.

The first major hurdle is if the other carrier has that phone in their device database, if not, if there is a generic ESN Database entry for smartphones.

If the other carrier is GSM, then you are out of luck.

If you can get me the carrier name, I can give you the details for the radio setup.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

If this other carrier is CDMA, unlocking is not the problem, you can force a phone to roam on any network if you wanted it to. The work is trying to get it to A. Do the over the air activation. B. trying to get the phone to recognize that carriers data settings to use it on their network.

The first major hurdle is if the other carrier has that phone in their device database, if not, if there is a generic ESN Database entry for smartphones.

If you can get me the carrier name, I can give you the details for the radio setup.

I'm moving to China so the biggest CDMA network there is China Telecom. Thanks so much for your quick relies and help.

Please note that I am going to be there permanantly and will be canceling my verizon contract so the phone still must work w/o being connected to verizon in anyway.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

I'm moving to China so the biggest CDMA network there is China Telecom. Thanks so much for your quick relies and help.

Please note that I am going to be there permanantly and will be canceling my verizon contract so the phone still must work w/o being connected to verizon in anyway.
    Now i know that they jsut dumped a huge amount of cash on EVDO rev. B so i am pretty sure your data may work, They are one of the largest cdma carriers out there.

Where will you live and kind of travel around the area, with that I can tell you if the phone will work for you or not, if it will, I'll reply once I get into work. it will be about 12 pm before I can answer.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

Now i know that they jsut dumped a huge amount of cash on EVDO rev. B so i am pretty sure your data may work, They are one of the largest cdma carriers out there.

Where will you live and kind of travel around the area, with that I can tell you if the phone will work for you or not, if it will, I'll reply once I get into work. it will be about 12 pm before I can answer.

I will canceling my verizon in november and moving to shanghai then.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Ok, so you are going to be living in and around shanghai right? I will see what i can get for you, and I'll make some calls to get the settings you will need to make it work. Like i said, give me a few hours and I'll see what I can come up with.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Hiya!

Just discovered this thread. Good info. I'm in a similar situation (will post my situation shortly) and certainly I'm interested in the outcome of this.

--Hyporea
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links