DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is considered normal battery life? (yeah, another battery thread)

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

What is considered normal battery life? (yeah, another battery thread)

FYI, I've searched and read the other battery threads about this phone.

This is my first smartphone, coming from a Voyager, so I wasn't sure what to expect by comparison-- but thus far I've been very surprised by my low battery life.

What is a normal consumption rate for a few 10 minute phone calls (on speaker with the display dimmed), 10 texts (sent and received), and maybe browsing one forum on Dolphin HD for 5 minutes?

I ask because I wound up replacing my Voyager because the battery was 3 years old and couldn't survive the day if I didn't charge it, and now I have the same problem with my Droid X.

When at work from 8am-1pm I have the following settings and usage:
    Settings:
    All Sounds Off
    Power Saver Mode
    Auto Brightness (normally the lowest brightness setting)
    All widgets update hourly
    Display is always off unless in use

Usage:
    One sent, one received text message
    One voicemail check (<1 minute)
    One call on speaker phone (15 minutes)

By the time I get home from work 5 hours later my battery is down to 70% when I plug it back in. Given, only 30% loss doesn't sound substantial, but considering the phone is basically turned off and sitting idle for 5 hours it's a surprising drain.

Is this normal?

The only widgets I have are Facebook, Audiomanager, Weather Channel, and Motorola Calendar. Because I was having an issue I downloaded an Advanced Task Killer just to monitor what was running and I was shocked by all the apps it said I had going simultaneously. That list on average is as follows:
    Voice Commands
    The Weather Channel
    Gmail
    Facebook
    Alarm & Timer
    City ID
    Text Messaging
    Audio Manager
    Dolphin Browser HD
    Browser
    Contacts
    Music
    Social Networking

I turned off the alarm this morning, haven't been on facebook or social networking today, don't have any music on the phone, don't use voice commands, have only used favorites today (not my contact list), haven't been on dolphin or regular browser, and don't know what city id is.

My point being, I haven't even used half of this stuff, and even if I select to kill the apps I will check back 5 minutes later and they will all be running again for some reason. I assume this has something to do with my battery drain as well but don't know how to stop it.

Any help, thoughts, suggestions?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DroidX & OG Droid
    sounds pretty normal to me.. most smart phones suck down battery like crazy.. not to mention you bought the phone with the biggest screen available.. get a task killer app and set it up to auto task kill a list of things you don't want running constantly. that'll help out some. I charge my phone during the day while at work, plus at night when I get home. I'd say your phone is acting normal considering what you are running on it. anytime you run something and close it, it still runs in the background..
    -Smokie
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Has that newly rooted smell...
    I don't own an X, but still sounds fairly normal to me. Keep in mind, just because the screen is off when you aren't using it, doesn't mean the phone isn't still doing stuff that uses battery (searching for/maintaining signal, etc).

Also, absolutely disregard Smokie's suggestion of a task killer. First, constantly autokilling a bunch of apps is only going to lag your phone and use even more battery. There is 0 need for a task killer, outside of occasionally needing to kill a single, rogue app. Furthermore, when you close an app, it does not continue to "run" in the background. It sits idle, not using resources, until you use it again. It's how the OS works.
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    704 times
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Premium Member
    Yeah I like task killer for after listening to music or viewing web pages. But then I set task killer to kill itself so it does not keep running.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    No. No task killer, ever.
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    I was able to get 14 hours today before needing to place it on charge.
    And that was with a 90 min phone call....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Remove your facebook widget and task killer and give it 1 day. You'll see huge improvements.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've read how poor task killers can be and result in the reverse effect you're after. I tried it out merely because nothing else was working and I wanted to see if there were things running that I wasn't aware of.

To refer to some of the posts:

(1) So by an application sitting idle, does it mean it's not using battery? Is there a reason that some apps, such as Music, turn on when I have never touched it, have a widget for it, or don't even have music on my phone?

(2) Does having gps/satellite on eat up battery?

(3) Killed the Facebook widget and just put a shortcut for it, not a big whore for it anyway.

Also, the other day I think I actually used my phone more than normal surfing a few sites, texting a bunch of people, a few speaker phone calls (15-30 min long) and the battery seemed to last about the same. Is that normal? Does that battery just kind of drain juice regardless and only intense "power" use will drain the battery even faster? Found it weird that it almost had identical, if not more life when under more use.

Looking to get the Tasker app too, seems extremely useful for me, but don't want to lose all battery again. I bought the phone for its functionality so I don't want to limit its capabilities but I also don't want to spend my day monitoring how it's used to preserve the battery-- need to find a middle ground to stand on. Not a crazy power user or have it just to show it off and play games/watch movies, only trying to help increase my productivity and efficiency with things.
    Last edited by Jjaeger240; 07-30-2010 at 07:10 PM.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note (AT&T)
    Over the last few days using my droid x normally with power saver mode I haven't gotten it under 70%. I'm rooted but haven't removed a single app. No live wallpaper or gps wifi bluetooth left running.

The only thing I did was research lithium ion batteries and drain my battery all the way in the first couple of days so my phone would have an accurate idea of where the top and bottom of a charge was.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is considered normal battery life? (yeah, another battery thread)-imageuploadbytapatalk.jpg  
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Jjaeger240 View Post

(1) So by an application sitting idle, does it mean it's not using battery? Is there a reason that some apps, such as Music, turn on when I have never touched it, have a widget for it, or don't even have music on my phone?
    Yes, being idle means not using battery, atleast, not any significant amount. Some apps will always restart and sit idle, it's just how the OS works.

(2) Does having gps/satellite on eat up battery?
    No. I leave gps on at all times. It is only "on" and using battery when you use an app that needs it. You will know when it's on because there will be a satellite icon in the notification tray. Otherwise, it isn't using any battery.

You should be able to use your phone all you want without having to monitor your usage/battery and make it through a day easily. Keep adjusting settings and such until you get the right setup. I use my phone a ton and can easily make it from 9am-11pm without needing to charge it. You can too.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links