DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Old Geezer" (78) needs advice on DROID ...Pls help

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by fibermick View Post
    Like the new word? I'm a 74 year old female and on my 2nd Android phone. I had the Palm operating sytem for years and it was a steep learning curve going to all things Google and Android. I still have lots and lots to learn and am learning new stuff every day. The forum has been great and very helpful. My approach has been to read, play with phone, read, play with phone, ask questions and then read some more. Good for our aging brains. It also impresses the heck out of your 20 something grandchildren that you have such an up to date piece of technology. I'm about to switch from my Droid Incredible back to the Droid X (as soon as my husbands dumb phone is up for new every 2 in mid-August (unless someone has a way for me to do it earlier?). I absolutely can't stand sense UI and didn't know it. My hands are small but I think I can make it work. The Dinc has a lovely screen (I'm an artist and I like colors) but I feel like HTC is controlling my experience. I don't have any intention of rooting and really wish the forum would just stick all the root stuff into a seperate forum so I could get through the days posts faster but I can see the attraction for the younger members.

Get your phone as soon as you can so that you'll be up and running (or in our case maybe walking quickly) by October. Have fun, I know I have.
    At what age does geezer or geezette apply?

I'm a 62 year old female about to get my first Android phone, it's scheduled for delivery Wednesday).
    I've been squinting at a BlackBerry Tour for the last year wishing it had a larger screen so I could actually see it without being nearly blind when I was done.
    I agree with you about all of this keeping our brains in shape. My grandkids are already impressed since I know way more about computers than they do...lol

I'm also an artist and am really looking forward to my Droid X.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I would also like to point out that if you chose to you could also use your Droid X as your modem while your at home. There are at least two APPs that I know of that will allow you to do this, PDAnet and Easytether.

This could save you some money on your monthly bill.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Well other people answered the questions above but I just want to say that for 78 year old person to use a "smartphone" is awesome!! Hope you enjoy your Droid!!
  4. MWM
    Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Hey Griz - the background you gave and the questions you asked indicate you understand this electronic gizmo stuff a lot better than you give yourself credit for. Since you got your answers, welcome to the Android Community - order the X and blow everybody away at your reunion!
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by maxnicks View Post
    One thing to consider before rushing out to buy a Droid X is that it only has an on-screen keyboard. There's nothing wrong with an on-screen keyboard. Using Swpe for me is actually about as fast as a regular laptop keyboard, BUT there is a learning curve. If you decide you'd prefer a standard phone keyboard you may want to wait until the Droid 2 comes out.
    Good Luck!
    I probably would.....except that the DROID 2 will have a smaller screen and only a 5 MP camera. I really like the larger screen & 8 MP.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X

Use Droid X as Modem for Lap top????

Quote Originally Posted by Uprangewilly View Post
    I would also like to point out that if you chose to you could also use your Droid X as your modem while your at home. There are at least two APPs that I know of that will allow you to do this, PDAnet and Easytether.

This could save you some money on your monthly bill.

As stated I now use a Verzion USB 760 Wireless Modem that just plugs into the side of the LapTop..................are you educating me to the fact that by using one of the Apps you mentioned (after I get my Droid X), , I can eliminate the use of the USB 760 to get on the Internet?? That would be great.....and save me $60. per month. Are there any negatives or "down-side" aspects to going this route??...i.e. increased battery usage? increases 'data' usage(I think I'm asking an intelligent question??);
    anything else I should know about going this route? Thank you..
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    REGARDING THE "POST" FROM 78 yr old GEEZER........THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR THOUGHTS, OPINIONS AND SUGGESTIONS>>>> I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!............Montana Griz
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Yes, that is exactly what im telling you. I have just recently got myself a Droid 1 and that is what I use to get internet at my home. No DSL or Cable on my road.

Some one please correct me if Im wrong about the Droid X being able to do this. But considering I can do it on my Droid 1 I just assume it will work the exact same way as a Droid X.

What you do is download PDAnet onto your phone, thats the one I use, and then hook the phone up to your PC via the USB cable that comes with your Droid X. Now that you have the phone and PC connected via the USB, start PDAnet on your phone. Follow the instructions to load PDAnet on to your PC. There will be a little Droid icon in your PC tray, down at the bottom by the time, etc.
    Once its on your PC all you need to do to use the internet on your PC is connect the Droid to your PC and go to PDAnet on the Droid and select "Start PDAnet" or something like that and then go to the little icon on your PC and click it and then select "connect" and it should get you online.

Its all very easy and PDAnet walks yu right through the process. Trust me, I never had a smart phone up until about three weeks ago and I was able to do this the first day.

Please, if I have given out incorrect information to this gentlemen please correct me. But this is how I got internet service in an area that only offers dial up. I couldnt be happier with my Droid!

As far as the battery, while the Droid is hooked up to the PC via the USB it will charge the Droid at the same time. So no worries about that. And yes all the internet usage you use while "tethering" does go against your data usage. But put it this way, Ive had my droid for three weeks now and I have only used around 1.8 Gb. And i use mine for Xbox live and things like that. So I wouldnt worry too much about the usage unless your watching you tube or something constantly. And yes you will save $59.99 per month.

Anyway sorry such a long post but I just want people to understand what these great little "phones" are capable of and how easy it is. And as far as rooting goes, you shouldnt need to root for the things you are going to be doing.

Good luck and if you have anymore questions come back and ask. This forum is a great forum to get info from.
    Last edited by Uprangewilly; 07-26-2010 at 01:34 PM.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
    From Geezer (68) to Geezette:

Live dangerously, route your phone today. Then install Simply Stunning (Blue theme) and wonder at the color.
    Galaxy Nexus Jelly Bean (Android 4.1.1 Build JR0030 Rooted)
    Motorola Droid X
    Simply Stunning
    Motorola Droid
    Simply Stunning

10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Good questions and answers, love this board.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links