DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Straight talk from Walmart

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Proclaim
    Any advice on the straight talk androids that will run on the verizon towers? I'm looking at the Samsung proclaim, Motorola defy xt, and a Samsung s950c galaxy s that is only sold in a limited amount of stores. Going by the reviews I've found the Samsung s950c galaxy s looks to me to be the best choice for me but I'm not sure.

I currently have a Droid 4 and realize it will be a downgrade but cannot justify or afford the $190 a month for 2 phones anymore. I just need to figure out which of these 3 phones are the best choice.
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung S3
    I can understand why someone would want to do this. If you have a perfectly good phone why buy another one if you can make it work. I don't know about everyone else but I pefer not to spend anymore money that I have to.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    So did you go with straight talk? And with what phone?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Proclaim
    I went to Straight Talk and grabbed the Samsung Proclaim. It runs on the Verizon towers, so the signal seems to work okay. I drove by where I can but I couldn't get down in because of the snow I did seem to have a signal though at the top of the lane, so I'm still hoping I will have signal at Camp I should if the Verizon towers are okay. my daughter bought the Huwai or somethung with that type of spelling that also runs on Verizon towers and she says she doesn't have any trouble she lives in a more rural area where there are spots that can be bad but she says it's working fine. I am still looking at the Samsung Galaxy S 950 C it has a larger screen which with my clumsy fingers will be a good thing but I have to drive over 2 hours to get to a Walmart that sells it.

I did ask customer service if by any chance they might have a BYOP program with a CDMA phone in the future. customer service told me that as of right now they don't but keep my eyes out on the website and look for updates in the future. it sure would be nice to bring my own phone if I could but as of right now you can't use a CDMA phone with straight talk unless it is one of their phones you purchase from them.

as far as the Pro claim works on the straight talk verizon tower network I haven't had any issues with dropped calls and browsing websites is quicker then I thougjt it eould be. syncing all my stuff with my google account has worked flawlessly. my only complaint eith the Samsung Proclaim is the smaller screen size, my eyes aren't ad young ad they used yo be along with clumsy fingers makes typing on screen something to get used yo. this is the first phone I've owned without a physical keyboard. I've only been with Straight talk for just undet two weeks so still getting used to the new phone.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Proclaim
    please forgive my bad spelling in my post. trying to make sure I hit the right letters but it still messes up.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    MD810 Droid X
    I have the Droid X that was with Verizon. Currently, I'm with Page Plus. However, as it stands today. I am wanting to know if my phone can be ported or used via Straight Talk. I'm a fan of the Unlimited everything price they're offering and would love to save some money. I called their tech support. Spoke to a gentleman in India. He stated that it was an eligible CDMA phone with Verizon. However, as previously stated, I'm now with Page Plus. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Twitter
    @AECRADIO
    Phone
    Droid 2, Droid X, Moto-G
    I had a D2 on straight talk, then had it activated on Verizon a few months later, so it can be done, but the in-call time is horrid, you are talking to relative morons that have no idea how to handle the transfer, and once you clear the number/phone issue, you sit with Straight Talk and let them deal with how to port....Not fun!
    far too many questions, they both want MEID, current number to port, current account info/password, phone model, check number to see if they 'can' port it and so on.....

You are also informed that your 'plan' needs to be changed to a smartphone plan, as no carrier/reseller will allow a low tier plan with a smartphone activation.
    All you need to tell them is you have a phone you wish to use on Straight Talk, and you should be good to go, once you clear those hurdles mentioned earlier.
    Ernest A. Erickson
    Payson, AZ.
    NCC-1701E
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links