DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Droid X has average signal loss when compared to other phones

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x

Droid X has average signal loss when compared to other phones

Guys and gals, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a small issue with the phone signal reception with the Droid X. I put a DB measuring app on my phone( Real Signal ) and experimented with techniques of holding the phone and its impact on signal strength. Here it is in a nutshell: When you hold the phone in a normal position, with most of the top half of the phone exposed, the signal is great. I got a -78db in my location. When I moved my hand up to a very high position, covering the top with my fingers, the db's went down to around -95. I did this 5 times in a row to confirm it. So the bottom line is that if you are blocking the antenna, you might lose a significant amount of signal. For example, if the only usable Verizon antenna is on your right and you are holding the phone up to your left ear, your head will block some of the signal. The obvious solution is to first hold the phone in a normal manner, leaving most of the top part ( where the antenna is, I presume ) open to receive the signal. If you are getting a poor signal when it is to your ear, try turning 180 degrees. You might have an antenna that is being blocked. This problem is not like the Iphone, where you are actually shorting out the antenna, but it is kind of similar.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    This happens in all phones because your hand attenuates the signal. However, with the iPhone it was a more pronounced drop. Check out the Anandtech Droid X review that shows the numbers.
  3. Theme Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    RAZR!
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I suppose with any wireless device there is a chance of blocking its connection, however although this is similar in a way to the iPhone issue, it is very far off. An antennae on the top is a pretty good spot because not many people hold their phones by the top part, much better than the left-handed issue. Plus your studies show that you might loose some signal but the signal isn't shorted and dropped so that is good. Nice of you to study this though! Maybe Steve Jobs is right when he said every smart phone has this problem, haha.
    The Mooooooon!
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x

Jobs

I was going to add a pithy comment about Steve Jobs, but I kind of restrained myself. However, his comment about "holding it differently", really turned me off to Apple.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    I find it odd that the OP entitles the thread "Iphone like antenna problem" but the last sentence states:
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
    This problem is not like the Iphone, where you are actually shorting out the antenna, but it is kind of similar.
    As other posters stated this would happen to probably any phone that wraps the antennae in the body of the phone, the art in the design it to put it where the majority of users would hold it and not cause signal degradation.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    I tried squeezing my BB last night and no loss in signal, but holding it at the top dropped about 5. However, I would never hold the phone in this position to either talk or browse.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I actually just noticed this too last night. Im pretty sure I know why that hump is there now. They packed the wireless and phone antennas in there.

Same thing happens with wireless when connected to a router.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    The difference is, not many people would normally hold the phone by the top when talking whereas many people hold the phone by the bottom side when talking.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    There is a distinct difference between signal loss due to attenuation and service loss, as in the iPhone's case, due to attenuation.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  10. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm View Post
    This problem is not like the Iphone, where you are actually shorting out the antenna, but it is kind of similar.
    So why post that title?
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links