DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you exit out of an app?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAxX 2.3.6
    FYI: Trapster does ask, upon exiting, if you want to keep it running in the background, albeit at battery expense, as it warns you if you decide to do so. It would be nice if all apps default to this question so one can pick and choose if you want to keep an app running in the background for faster reload; you can change this back to default at settings. Of course op-sys apps would be excluded.

I do not know if the os would try to shut down it down if you choose to keep it running in the background.
    Last edited by Horch it; 12-29-2010 at 01:52 PM.
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horch it View Post
    FYI: Trapster does ask, upon exiting, if you want to keep it running in the background, albeit at battery expense, as it warns you if you decide to do so. It would be nice if all apps default to this question so one can pick and choose if you want to keep an app running in the background for faster reload; you can change this back to default at settings. Of course op-sys apps would be excluded.

I do not know if the os would try to shut down it down if you choose to keep it running in the background.
    What you're not really getting I think is an understanding about what "running in the background" is. Basically the app is more or less sleeping, but ready. It's not like it's running if you were actually using it. That's why these apps don't show up when you check battery usage.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR MAxX 2.3.6
    I understand an app is in the "alpha" state of sleep, not running but poised to start up.
    Last edited by Horch it; 12-29-2010 at 02:01 PM.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
    The article copied below is specifically about task killers, but it gives an excellent description of how the android OS handles apps.

Task Killers Per Lifehacker:

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them
    I see no description in that article of how Android handles applications.

The problem is that Android uses RAM differently than, say, Windows.
    How? What is the difference? In Windows, there is a difference between RAM and memory; the main difference is that Windows uses hard drives for virtual memory. If virtual memory is a relevant difference, then the article should explain that.

On Android, having your RAM nearly full is a good thing.
    Why? I see no explanation in the article of why. I assume the article is correct that it is a good thing, but I am interested in knowing why and the article does not explain why.
    Last edited by Sam Hobbs; 01-04-2011 at 05:58 AM.
  5. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I'll break it down for you. When you are leaving an app (except for Pandora and apps like it), press your back button instead of your home button. Done.
    When you press home to exit, the app is left open AND running in the background with a "no kill" priority. To many of these and the phone will likely reboot itself to shut them down itself. If you know anything about audio, this is exactly like an amplifier going into "protection".
    When you press back to exit, the app will remain open but idle (not running). The OS does this in case you're going to go back to it so it will load faster. If x amount of time has gone by and you a) haven't gone back to the app or b) another app needs the resources, the OS will shut it down itself.
    All of these apps work together for the function of your phone. This is why apps open at random...and why task killers are irrelevant. Kill all apps and don't do anything else with the phone....they come back again! This is how Android operates. I hope this was helpful!

DroidForums Junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Verizon rep installed advanced task killer on my droid x when purchased, it take me long to realize that it was itself an app running in the background. So I put the widget on my home screen and every time I lock the screen I press the little green guy and he kills apps, including himself! Works great for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  7. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXDawg View Post
    Verizon rep installed advanced task killer on my droid x when purchased, it take me long to realize that it was itself an app running in the background. So I put the widget on my home screen and every time I lock the screen I press the little green guy and he kills apps, including himself! Works great for me.

Guess you didn't read this or any of the other hundreds of threads on this topic that say they aren't even needed, giving plenty of reasons why?

*sigh*

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    -----------------------------------
    Rom: CyanogenMod 7 Winner00's Nightly #85
    Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.1.0.2
    Kernel: Prime's deprimed_test
    Theme: Stock
    Launcher: ADW EX 1.2.2
    Launcher Theme: Gingerbread
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/ihaztehwingz

-----------------------------------
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    @Body_Bagz
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXDawg View Post

Click the first 2 links down in my signature...read them and then decide if that "little green guy" is a good idea for your phone...

Bagz Droid Razr, Most Nearly Bone Stock
    ...Rooted...ROM`d too many times to list...and still kicking iPhones in the @$$ on a daily basis....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links