DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Droid X sync with Outlook

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X RETURNED / BB Storm

Droid X sync with Outlook

I LOVE the Droid X, however I took it back in 48 hours! A basic with most smart phones is the ability to sync phone and PC and that is not possible with the Droid X unless the user is an enterprise user. Peer to peer PC to phone 2 way sync is not a part of the Android package. Sure, one can use the gmail contact or use the google calendar sync, but the ability to sync on oneís own PC is not available. 3rd party conduits like CompanionLink, Touchdown or MyLink are either not suitable for peer to peer or they are very problematic in that they just donít work. I spent 36 hours trying and I could not make anything (incl CompanionLink) work for syncing my Outlook and DroidX. I simply cannot believe or for that matter understand how a smart phone provider like Motorola would leave a sync conduit out of their offering. HTC tried to make such an attempt in the Incredible with their HTC Sync but it does not work well. My BB Storm has the ability to sync with Desktop Manager. My Kyocera had it, Palm has it, hell ever the I-Phone has it in I-Tunes. Come On Google, give Android the ability to sync Outlook without going to a 3rd party. There are many thousands of users who will be very disappointed (like me) once they find out that Android wonít sync with their laptop or their PC.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I hear you..

Coming over from the Iphone this completely blew my mind. I'm completely in love with this phone but I have to be honest and say that this is giving me second thoughts.

Luckily Google Apps Premier is actually cheaper then rackspace which is where I'm currently hosting my email + domain name. I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes.

Had I known this before I bought the phone and fell in love with it I would have never bought it.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    blackberry storm 1
    i agree. being a BB user, it's hard to give up the dedicated desktop client sync since it is so easy and problem free to use.

my work around is to use gsync to sync my outlook and google accounts (e.g. all calender, contacts etc...) then sync my google account with my phone wirelessly. It works and having the ability to sync my phone OTA is pretty neat actually.

I know this is important but shouldn't be a deal-breaker in choosing the X imo
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX
    Yup, another BB user fighting the sync fight. I thought I had it yesterday when I downloaded Companionlink.

My problem was getting Windows 7 to see the phone. The drivers took care of that. Companionlink sync'ed perfectly. Tasks, Notes , Calender and Contacts (with categories), all good.

Today I have tried to sync again. Windows doesn't see it even after reinstalling the drivers. Its frustrating to know that it can work, but just not easily like on my BB.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x

CompanionLink works for me

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad911 View Post
    I LOVE the Droid X, however I took it back in 48 hours! A basic with most smart phones is the ability to sync phone and PC and that is not possible with the Droid X unless the user is an enterprise user. Peer to peer PC to phone 2 way sync is not a part of the Android package. Sure, one can use the gmail contact or use the google calendar sync, but the ability to sync on oneís own PC is not available. 3rd party conduits like CompanionLink, Touchdown or MyLink are either not suitable for peer to peer or they are very problematic in that they just donít work. I spent 36 hours trying and I could not make anything (incl CompanionLink) work for syncing my Outlook and DroidX. I simply cannot believe or for that matter understand how a smart phone provider like Motorola would leave a sync conduit out of their offering. HTC tried to make such an attempt in the Incredible with their HTC Sync but it does not work well. My BB Storm has the ability to sync with Desktop Manager. My Kyocera had it, Palm has it, hell ever the I-Phone has it in I-Tunes. Come On Google, give Android the ability to sync Outlook without going to a 3rd party. There are many thousands of users who will be very disappointed (like me) once they find out that Android wonít sync with their laptop or their PC.
    I signed up for "Premium support". Tech called witHin an hour...first loaded DejaOffice THEN Companion Link FOR GOOGLE!
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    I am sorry to be so slow but where is Deja Office. Any help would be appreciated.
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Sorry I have it
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x

Good

Quote Originally Posted by Zan1 View Post
    Sorry I have it
    The tech at CampanionLink took control of my computer and downloaded it...I got the impression it was need in tandem with CampanionLink for Google.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x
    Let us know how you make out!
  11. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Guys this is a google phone. All you have to do is go into your gmail account on line and to your settings Pick the tab that says accounts and settings. There is a specific link with instructions for how to synch gmail to Outlook 2007 by creating csv files. You transfer those files to gmail and then your phone syncs with gmail

So simple my wife no only did it, she can't understand how people are having a problem figuring it out. From that point on you work out of your gmail account.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Links